Full size woodstove mod'd into a smoker?

Kathy's Smokin'

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi!

While picking up my charcoal basket fabrication at the welding shop down the highway I had a nice talk with the owner. He's not a smoker but he had some good ideas about containing heat. He had what I think could be a brilliant idea to modify a full-size woodstove into a vertical-type smoker. He's seen them sitting in scrap metal piles and says sometimes people will give you old woodstoves for free just to get rid of them. I've seen several for sale cheap on Kijiji, even as little as $50, so I'll have to keep my eyes peeled from now on. I've dropped my previous idea of modifying an old kiln into a smoker so now I'm on the prowl again to figure out a budget smoker with excellent charcoal burning efficiency suited for Canadian winters (Christmas turkey!) If I had the $2K sitting around you know I'd buy a Primo Oval XL with the bling and the full table. Until then......

I searched our site and found three brothers talking about wood stove smokers (thanks to 'He Smells Like Smoke' for posting the picture in 2007 of the small woodstove/oil tank smoker in front of that Vermont takeout place, I agree the stone classes it up). I found brothers Norcoredneck and Capozzoli also talking about woodstove smokers but I think those smokers are made in the same vein as the one in front of the Vermont take-out place. (Little woodstove as a fire box, offset with stove pipe or like to a drum or oil tank, etc.) I'm thinking of a set-up more like a BGE or Primo, etc.. The welding shop could fabricate a fire-smoke separating plate for me. Would have to think about existing door configurations on what I find and how they would affect getting meat in/out and charcoal in/out. I'm hoping it would be efficient enough for 12 or more hours of burn time so charcoal would not have to be added during any cook. Just thoughts right now but who doesn't love thinking about smokers?

I'm still working on mods of my COS to get better efficiency and feeling encouraged by the great threads on site. When I get us out of usage-based internet and back to unlimited I'll post pictures of the mods. I think the sisal twine mod for the wood slat table in front is stunning but I bought stainless steel machine screws and nuts yesterday so the twine is on its way out.

The wood stove idea is something that's tumbling in my brain like chickens on a rotisserie. Any brothers seen a wood stove vertical smoker?

Last edited:
The way I can see it working, off the cuff, is to stack two of them, using the bottom for the fire box and the top for smoking chamber. Or, using a stove and bulidng a box on top, to use as a smoking chamber. Could be interesting.

That wood stove/oil tank smoker in Vermont is still smoking away for the new owner in what is now a taco shop. They smoke chicken and pork to go in their Mexican food. The new place is called Mad Taco in Waitsfield.

The wood stove part is virtually indestructible, but heavy. If used in a smoker, it won't be easily moved, but is an excellent fire box.

Shoot a PM to Teleking, he's done a couple.

Yep and they work pretty darn good. All bolt together with no welding involved.

Original Franken Smoker:

DSCF0019.jpg

Bride of Franken Smoker:

DSCF0069.jpg

I must admit that I am hooked on using The Son of the Bride 2.0 these days:

DSCF1341.jpg

Cheers

WOW!

Thank you, brethren, you've exceeded my expectations and I've given this thread a 5 star rating. The pictures are worth a thousand words, Teleking, thank you. I'm enamored by the Original Franken Smoker and I'd put mine on wheels, too. The Bride's cart is gorgeous. I pass by a large propane company once a week, I'm going to pop in and ask what they do with old tanks.

YAHOO! I may even stop longing for a Primo, these wood stove smokers look fantastic.

The Bride is basically built out of a well pressure tank, a wood stove, a weight bench, and a wheel chair that I had laying around or picked up for free.

Cheers

That's amazing, Teleking, I thought the cylinder was a propane tank. The old wheelchair and weight bench mods are inspired! I live in the country and have access to a "ReUse Centre" where cool and interesting finds abound. I have a lot to think about, thank you for that.

And the brain rotisserie spins.......

Back