MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-30-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
MilitantSquatter

Default Amazing Mashed Potatoes

I wish I had time to take pics....

I had a bunch of family over today and made some garlic/rosemary seasoned flank steaks on the kettle with grilled asparagus and mashed potatoes...

Mashed potatoes were going to start off as real basic, but I got the bug to be different.... The reviews at the table were incredible...

12 large brown potatoes (peeled, but not 100% peeled)
Small pack of hickory flavored bacon - diced
2 Jalepeno Beef sausages (Courtesy of Jorge !!! from Opa's Smoked meats in Fredricksburg, TX - http://opassmokedmeats.com/)
1 package of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
5 cloves of garlic - minced
1/3 pt. of heavy cream
1/4 cup (approx)of whole milk
3 tablespoons (approx) of whipped butter
Kosher Salt & Pepper

I indirectly grilled some of the awesome Opa's Jalepeno Beef Sausage Jorge brought to NY i for me in Aug. so my family could sample it... Then I decided to experiment and throw some of it in the mashed potatoes I was going to make. From there I went for broke and also included bacon and sharp cheddar cheese.

Sauteed the miced garlic & diced bacon as the potatoes cooked. Sliced and diced the cooked sausages. Then mixed it all together with the other ingredients... Cheese melted in nicely...

The flank steaks were really good, but all anyone could talk about were how good the mashed potatoes were.... I had to agree... they were amazing... The smoked sausage, bacon and cheese made a boring side dish come to life...
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 09-30-2006 at 10:27 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2006, 08:29 PM   #2
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Man, those sound amazing, Vinnie! Ive never thought to add meat to mashed taters before. And nothing beats heavy cream and butter!
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2006, 08:31 PM   #3
qman
Babbling Farker

Skip the steak and asparagus and give me a bowl of them mashed potatoes mod.
They sound terrific Vinny. And I just ate a rib-eye steak, and promised myself no-more-carbs-for-the-day, and you are tempting me.
I am going to steal this one from you. I know my wife will reward me for making it for her. Soon.

Old 09-30-2006, 10:12 PM   #4
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

hmmmm, never thought of tossing some of that sausage into a twice baked tater...

Glad it worked out for you. Give my best to your family.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2006, 10:23 PM   #5
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Holy chit.. i think an artery clogged when i read the recipe..

but that dont mean i aint gonna try it.. may replace the jap sausages with something else... that sausage would never make it off the cutting board intact..

they belong in potato rolls smothered in onions..

or jalepeno relish,

or melted cheddar cheese,

or wrapped in a biscuit and baked.. (Pig in a blanket)

or... oh hell now im hungry.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2006, 10:38 PM   #6
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

.... mighty creative and very tasty-sounding !!! I don't have access to your sausages, but maybe can substitute come really good spicy cajun versions from local Costco. Everything else sounds really decadent ... for mashed taters.

Good stuff!
GMG_Daniel Boone _ pellets only
Big Green Egg _ Large _ need high heat
Broilmaster D3 'natural' gasser
[I]CB Bandera .. hooked me
Traeger Texas 075 spoiled me[/I][/FONT]
Q_Egg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2006, 04:22 AM   #7
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Vinny,

Congrats on the potatoes.

I do something very similar (no sausage or heavy cream, plus a little balsamic vinegar and olive oil), with my twice baked potatoes. Also topped with shredded cheddar and crumbled bacon and put back on the grill to finish.

Served this with some of the best filet mignon that I've ever made and yeah, everyone talks about the potatoes.

Remember this next time you go shopping. Pocket the money for the meat and just buy another bag of potatoes!
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2006, 06:34 AM   #8
beerguy
is One Chatty Farker

Vinny, those smashed potatoes sound great! And as Paula Dean says " I aint your nurse, Im your cook" go ahead with all that butter and cream!

Traeger BBQ100
18.5 " WSM X2
Weber Gold Kettle 22 1/2"
Weber 18 1/2 "
22.5 " WSM X2
beerguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2006, 08:08 AM   #9
cabo
is One Chatty Farker

Ok Vinny,
The tater recipe is already copied & pasted into my “recipe section”. Gotta try them, but grilled Asparagus? I like Asparagus, but never tried it grilled. Could you elaborate please?? How you do dat???
Yeah I know, first you get some Asparagus, then you get some fire …….Recipe Please!!
N.B. 'Dera (modified), gone to another place (RIP), ECCG (el cheapo charcoal grill), an Alveron propane, and wood hog cooker, bullitt type smokers, a GM Jim Bowie, a turkey fryer, and a pretty well stocked kitchen.

Cabo

Old 10-01-2006, 08:46 AM   #10
beerguy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo
Ok Vinny,
The tater recipe is already copied & pasted into my “recipe section”. Gotta try them, but grilled Asparagus? I like Asparagus, but never tried it grilled. Could you elaborate please?? How you do dat???
Yeah I know, first you get some Asparagus, then you get some fire …….Recipe Please!!
Sprinkle some eevo on the asparagas, some sea salt and cracked pepper, and throw them on a mesh grate so they dont fall into the grill. Heat them thru about 3 mins, so they stay crispy, dont overcook them. I use the real skinny stacks, fat ones dont work as well. Great with the grilled salmon.

Traeger BBQ100
18.5 " WSM X2
Weber Gold Kettle 22 1/2"
Weber 18 1/2 "
22.5 " WSM X2
beerguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2006, 09:08 AM   #11
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerguy
Sprinkle some eevo on the asparagas, some sea salt and cracked pepper, and throw them on a mesh grate so they dont fall into the grill. Heat them thru about 3 mins, so they stay crispy, dont overcook them. I use the real skinny stacks, fat ones dont work as well. Great with the grilled salmon.
Me, I do the fat ones because I like to leave them on the fire long enough to pickup some char. Otherwise this is right on.

As a alternate to the mesh grate, you can raft several stalks together, by using bamboo skewers [2 per raft] and skewering through the stalks, building little asparagus rafts, a la Tom Sawyer. Then you turn the whole raft, and also dodge the old falling through the grate problem.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:23 AM   #12
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerguy
Beerguy does it the exact same way I grill the asparagus except I also chop or slice some garlic and let in sit in a ziploc bag with the olive oil for a while.. then grill. I also top with a little crushed red pepper along with the black.

I also prefer the skinny ones as they cook up better (more tender).. Any good steakhouse or hi end restaurant that serves asparagus will use the skinny ones. The larger ones are often too chewy and tough... I end up having to slit the fat ends with a knive...
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2006, 09:27 AM   #13
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I agree with Vinny. Gotta have garlic on the grilled asparagus! Also, top it off with a little fresh grated Parmesan cheese just before serving.

The tater sound great, Vinny! I may have to change my dinner plans. Mashed taters are OK with ribs, aren't they?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2006, 09:39 AM   #14
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Darn--I just came home from a decadent breakfast and now I am hungry again.
We do 'sparagus like that all the time--wonderful.
Gotta try some kicked up smashed taters now.

So much food, so little time, so many pounds

TIM

Old 10-01-2006, 09:50 AM   #15
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Mandatory in my twice baked are some mushrooms. Saute those in some bacon grease, with a little garlic, and some shallots, seasoned with plenty of fresh cracked pepper.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote