MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Hoss5355
Found some matches.

Default First Goat Smoke

Well, we supported our local fair, and purchased a couple goats a week or so ago. They are about 80 lbs on the hoof. As a group we decided that we would try the first one on the smoker.

After searching here and on the internet, I'm thinking of trying half of one with some Mexican spices, chopping up for burritos/tacos/etc., and doing the other one with some fresh herbs, like parsley, thyme, rosemary, garlic, with olive oil/wine.

My biggest fear with this cook is drying it out. What temp should we be looking to pull it at? Should I inject? If so, with what? I guess since I've never ate goat, I have no clue what kind of flavors go with goat. Any advice for a first time goat smoker...

Thanks in advance,

Kevin
Hoss5355 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I cook 6-10 a year this it the recipe I use unless I'm doing Tacos Al pastor
http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/barbecued_cabrito

Old 09-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
Jayblefty
On the road to being a farker

I have been wanting to raise, butcher and smoke a goat for a while now. Everything I have read compares it to a gamey lamb (maybe more like mutton???) Keep us posted on how it goes!!! I think next year will be when I do mine.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Bludawgs recipe sounds delish, lends itself to being spit roasted very nicely.

Male or female ? how old

Old 09-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
Hoss5355
Found some matches.

Fixed males, about 7 months old. Thanks for the help so far. I'll try to get some pics of process we use.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

I do goat somewhat regularly (My butcher puts it on special every few months when they get it in from New Zealand and calls me because they know I love it). I rub pretty much the same way I rub pork butt. I don't pull it at a temp. It is just when it is fall apart ready. A lot of liquid/braising helps IMO. My favorite part is that the rest of my family can take it or leave it so I always get lots.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

Kid goat is the way to go. Make it guisado or en sangrita either way its delish.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
Seefyre
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Chris

We've been doing goat for some time now. I feel it compares very closely to the privately raised fresh lamb we get. It takes well to Latin as well as Mediterranean spices.

I love to quick sear the chops and slow smoke the shoulders. I was nervous about the long cook for such a young/lean animal but it turned out great. Smoked around 250-275 for 4-6 hours depending on size.

Enjoy the goat.
Seefyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

This won't help you with a whole smoked goat but if you ever smoke the legs or a quarter this worked well for me.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=154209

They really are great cooked whole underground too.

Good luck with your cook!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
This won't help you with a whole smoked goat but if you ever smoke the legs or a quarter this worked well for me.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=154209

They really are great cooked whole underground too.

Good luck with your cook!
I will second that! Barbacoa style is awesome for lamb and goat and pig for that matter.
I'll see if I can dig up a thread where we did a whole hog. Works the same for goat.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ighlight=socks
Maybe a bit overkill for an 80lb goat, but you can always throw a few butts or even a turkey in there and make the most of the coals and effort.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
Hoss5355
Found some matches.

The goat legs look great. I never thought about beef broth, but that sounds like a plan. I think the Mexican flavored one is going to go that way. Thanks for the help. I do appreciate it.

Kevin

Old 09-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
sbordel
Got rid of the matchlight.

Sounds good!
sbordel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
castlepines
is One Chatty Farker

I'm really interested in seeing how this goes...post pics along the way please!
castlepines is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #14
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zin View Post
Kid goat is the way to go. Make it guisado or en sangrita either way its delish.
Trust what ZIN has to say, as he comes real close to where "cabrito" is treated as a part of the Mexican food group, as pasta is toward the Italians. Good stuff when downing large quantities of Margaritas, or local Pearl, or Lone Stars.

Blessings,
Omar

Old 09-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #15
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Let us know how this goes. I've only had young goat grilled or seared before, so I'm interested in how it turns out smoked lo n slo. Bludawg's recipe sounds good!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote