Contest Results Excelsior Springs, MO--BBQ on the River Fly-In

BBQ_Mayor

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I didn't find a roll call for this so I posted one. Sorry if it's already done.

Anybody going to this? We're thinking about it but need a little more info on it. Like, is it on pavement? Grass? Hows the electricity?

Anybody have any thoughts about this contest?

Thanks.

We signed up for it.Never been there before.I emailed and tried calling and haven't recieved a response yet.They had 60 plus teams last year, somebody here had to cook it..

Ques Your Daddy will be there, I think its on grass

Smokehouse trying for the NorthWest Mo bonus? We're 30+ back, it would be hard to make up. What's the date?

We did this contest last year. I thought it was a little unorganized and was disappointed they spent so much on a fireworks show and so little on the prize money.

The teams are set up on the street and in a few parking lots around a couple of city blocks. I think all of the spaces were on pavement. They pack the teams in tightly so get there extra early. We showed up a little after noon and had to disconnect the trailer and push it in.

It has a very festive atmosphere and the party goers are reveling until 3 AM. It reminds me of the dark side at the Royal. That part was fun for us but a lot of other cooks complained.

We'll be there. Just like Paul said they do cram you in and the party goers are out until 3 a.m. Last year we were about 100 feet from a bar. They said quite hours began at 11 but when you have a bar business that is open until 1 or so there really wasn't any quite hours for us. A couple of fights even broke out. Other than that it was a decent comp.

This will be the first time in 5 years that we are not going to be there. It was our second KCBS contest back then and has been a constant for us ever since. It won't work with the schedule for this year though.

Paul pretty much nailed it as far as the set up goes. I like cooking on the city streets and down town Ex. Spr. has a certain charm about it.

This is a really good event in my opinion and the event and overall quality of it have grown exponentially over tha past few years. No, it doesn't have huge payouts or cater to a cook's every want or need - but thing to remember is that it is a community festival with a BBQ contest as a component. The organizer (Jim McCullogh) does his best to accomodate every team's need and put on a good event for the town to attend. He is a cook as well, so he "get's it."

Here are a few pics from some of the past year's in the Ex.

ExSpr_05_05.jpg

Excelsior06_04.jpg

ExSprings010.jpg

ExSprings013.jpg

Smokehouse trying for the NorthWest Mo bonus? We're 30+ back, it would be hard to make up. What's the date?

Yep. We were thinking of it but don't want to haul the whole unit down that way. Just take the cooker and a tent or something.

We will be there as judges. Judged this one last year as well. Had a great time. Sometimes it's nice being on the other side. Good luck to all!

Been trying to get a hold of somebody about this contest but have had no replies. Is it still on?

I am sure it still is.
You might try calling Wabash BBQ in Excelsior...Jim and Cheri McCullough own the restaurant and organize the contest. Their cell numbers are listed on the entry form. If you can't get a hold of them on their cell, try the restaurant.

Entry form:
http://www.wabashbbq.com/pdf/BBQ%20Entry%20Form.pdf

OK. We are in.

Like Bobby says, goin for the Bonus. Being only 5 out, we almost have to try it.

OK. We are in.

Like Bobby says, goin for the Bonus. Being only 5 out, we almost have to try it.

Good luck! If I wasn't going to be in St. Louis that weekend for a little R&R with my wife (watching the Cardinals kick the crap out of the Padres), I would probably come down there to help you guys out/cheer you on. :roll:

Bill, all my gear is in IA. Let me see if I can find a BWS to borrow.

Lit, Loaded & Boondoggled?

Now that would be a funny arse name! Or lit and boned dog bbq? :lol::lol::lol:

We are in for this one too... Come on by for a beer, if you make it up there!

Cooking or not, I'm sure I'll make it up to this one for multiple beers then crash in my truck.

I think that I have attended a BBQ like that before... (Passes out/ crashes in truck mod) :icon_bigsmil

Back