MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #76
LOUMAFF3
Knows what a fatty is.

This is a great post! I need to have the two newbies on the team study this info.
Thanks for spending the time.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:37 AM   #77
Digi
Full Fledged Farker

ok... as simple as this is, i think i'm still getting it wrong... my understanding is that the probe should slide into the flat as easily as it does the point... i always get the "butta" feel on the point and never the flat... i have a strange feeling that i'm not letting it cook long enough. great flavor, lots o' juice, pretty tender, just seems to be a little dry on the flat.

i guess the biggest questions i have are:

is the "butta" feel going to be the same feeling as the point?
how long does it last? (meaning if i check it once an hour after 10 hrs, is there a chance i could miss it and over cook it back to being tough again within that hour to check ?)
do you just "rest" it or "wrap and towel" in a cooler after the "butta" feel (and if you do have to "wrap, towel, and cooler" after the "butta" feel for timing if it finishes earlier than expected, would this affect the meat in any way making it not as tender)?

sorry to being up an old post again for something laid out so simple.
22.5" Weber OTG - dubbed "Little Bit"
[/COLOR]
Digi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2009, 07:48 AM   #78
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

It should be very similar.

how long does it last? (meaning if i check it once an hour after 10 hrs, is there a chance i could miss it and over cook it back to being tough again within that hour to check ?)
Don't worry so much about overcooking it to tough unless you fall asleep or something. The tough and dry is because it is underdone, and overdone will simply mean fall apart tender. The juiciness is from the collagen and fat. You have to seriously overcook it for the fat and collagen to go away leaving only dried and charred meat strands.

do you just "rest" it or "wrap and towel" in a cooler after the "butta" feel (and if you do have to "wrap, towel, and cooler" after the "butta" feel for timing if it finishes earlier than expected, would this affect the meat in any way making it not as tender)?
This is why i was trying to keep it simple. After this you add in too many questions, and it really comes down to personal preference. There is no 1 way to make great brisket, period, end of story. My personal preference however is to wrap and place in a cooler for 4 to 6 hours or so. If you find this makes it too tender for you, that means the wrapping/coolering has cooked it further than you want, so adjust as necessary.

The important thing to realize is that tough and dry equals undercooked, not overcooked. Overcooked means fall apart tender (think pulled beef). Unless of course you take this to an extreme and cook it until it is simply burnt. You'll know if this happens though. Instead of noticing how dry and hard it is, you are most likely to notice it tastes like crap.

No problem. Just realize when starting out you can only get close to the target, not dead center. Keep practicing.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2009, 08:04 AM   #79
Digi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
It should be very similar.

Don't worry so much about overcooking it to tough unless you fall asleep or something. The tough and dry is because it is underdone, and overdone will simply mean fall apart tender. The juiciness is from the collagen and fat. You have to seriously overcook it for the fat and collagen to go away leaving only dried and charred meat strands.

This is why i was trying to keep it simple. After this you add in too many questions, and it really comes down to personal preference. There is no 1 way to make great brisket, period, end of story. My personal preference however is to wrap and place in a cooler for 4 to 6 hours or so. If you find this makes it too tender for you, that means the wrapping/coolering has cooked it further than you want, so adjust as necessary.

The important thing to realize is that tough and dry equals undercooked, not overcooked. Overcooked means fall apart tender (think pulled beef). Unless of course you take this to an extreme and cook it until it is simply burnt. You'll know if this happens though. Instead of noticing how dry and hard it is, you are most likely to notice it tastes like crap.

No problem. Just realize when starting out you can only get close to the target, not dead center. Keep practicing.

thanks again for laying this out... my biggest fear was that i was somehow overcooking it and missing the "butta" feel, but it appears that i never even reached it... i made one over the weekend, and i thought the long stent in the cooler would have pushed it over the edge, but i guess it didn't even get it there... it's all good though... i ended up chopping the whole thing to make brisket cheesesteaks for everyone anyways (which were awesome by the way!)... i'm all about practicing and will do another one this weekend...

thanks again!
Brian
22.5" Weber OTG - dubbed "Little Bit"
[/COLOR]
Digi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #80
ctbeerbq
Full Fledged Farker

Excellent post! I will make my first attempt at brisket this weekend, and I started my research this morning and came across this thread. This info will be extremely helpful to me. Thanks again!!

NB Bandera
UDS - beer can
Brinkman Pro Series 4400 Gasser

"I'd rather have a belly from drinking than a hump from working."
ctbeerbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2009, 08:09 PM   #81
pitboy
Found some matches.

Thank you that was amazing. I went by time on my first brisket and took it off to soon.
It was a bit chewy but the family took it in stride, thank god the beer was cold and went down better than my brisket. My next attempt the meat will tell me when its ready

Old 05-31-2009, 08:13 PM   #82
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

I gave you credit elsewhere on this thread, and wanted to make sure you see it here as well. The tip for pulling it when it is soft as butter and not worrying about the temp was spot on. I did my first cook today and the kids were lining up for thirds. Thanks for this post!
MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient[/COLOR][/B]
[SIZE=2]Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and [URL="http://noexcusesbbq.com/archives/2987"]the CrockaQue[/URL][/SIZE]
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #83
radarmonkey
Found some matches.

Wow. I've been cooking brisket since I was 14 yrs old and my dad said "here, go cook this" and shoved a paper wrapped brisket at me while he was bringing home our first side of beef. I learned ALOT today. I had never thought or heard of "burnt ends" until today. I can't wait to try it. I also didn't know about using a "probe" to check for doneness. I have always just guessed. Thanks so much for the info.
radarmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #84
Merlinspop
Got Wood.

When probing the flat for that doneness feel, do you insert it with or against the grain or does it not matter?

Can't wait to try it out. Have a UDS almost done, just waiting for the lid ring to be welded to a kettle lid (long story, but don't try to burn off the liner/paint by simply hitting it long and hard with a propane torch, unless you don't mind having a lid shaped like a round tortilla chip).

Old 08-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #85
82muchhomework
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

On account of this tutorial, I'm gonna try my first one this weekend... if the wife agrees.
82muchhomework is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #86
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

How the he!! did I miss this thread?
Excellent job Chris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
How many of you buy the packers and then separate the point and flat to smoke separately?
Burnt ends are just so dang good!! Aren't they?
I do. I trim and seperate before I cook. I have the 18.5 WSMs, so I lay the point fat side down first then lay the flat fat side down over the top. Easier to make one fit that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
It's more cost effective to buy this way, right?
I weighed the fat after trimming a packer, and cyphered the price per pound of the trimmed packer and it was cheaper than a trimmed flat. Plus, if you smoke the fat you trimmed, it makes a great cooks snack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I generally use the back side of a knife when separating the point. This keeps the moisture loss to a minimum.
Never would have thought of that. Great tip!
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2009, 01:51 PM   #87
Phubar

I only saw the few first pics and commentary just now,great job BByte!
This is a tutorial!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #88
jswordy
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow, this ain't a STICKY yet? (hint ) Seriously, it would be cool to be able to put these kind of things somewhere for handy reference. Ain't never cooked no brisket, but I'm gonna!

Old 08-19-2009, 02:35 PM   #89
Phubar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswordy View Post
Wow, this ain't a STICKY yet? (hint ) Seriously, it would be cool to be able to put these kind of things somewhere for handy reference. Ain't never cooked no brisket, but I'm gonna!

I second that!
A tutorial part for building n stuff and for prepping your meat.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #90
jestridge

very good instruction wish I saw that when I did my first one , JOB WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisket, brisket tutorial, How to cook the perfect brisket