MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #166
Dallas Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

I've smoked literally dozens of briskets in my offset and have developed my favorite techniques. But I've never thought about putting the point back on the smoker to make burnt ends. Thanks for the tip!

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #167
bandityo
On the road to being a farker

Thanks for the tutorial and it coming back up. My local costco only sells Flats..how would I change anything just doing a flat?

THanks,

David

Old 03-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #168
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandityo View Post
Thanks for the tutorial and it coming back up. My local costco only sells Flats..how would I change anything just doing a flat?

THanks,

David
It's the same. The most important thing is getting it tender. You might want to wrap it in foil once it hits the stall if you are worried about it drying out. Your call. I don't cook flats, if I could just cook the points, I would.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2011, 05:17 PM   #169
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
It's the same. ...I don't cook flats, if I could just cook the points, I would.
Roger that. The point is the point!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2011, 07:34 PM   #170
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks Chris! Doing my first full packer for Easter dinner and you've taken away some of my apprehension. Now I'm not sure I can wait for another month and may need to do a "practice run" this weekend . . .
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2011, 08:08 PM   #171
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Just for MY use!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
You have my permission as creator of the thread (you should give proper credit too), but you will also need permission from Phil since he owns the forum.

Honestly though, I don't know if you have to ask permission since that is kind of like printing the thread...you can print to a PDF file with a printer driver that does so...
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #172
bb0bbby
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

What is the avg price per lb people are paying?
My local maket is charging $5 per lb.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #173
Panthers65
is one Smokin' Farker

friends of mine just picked up a packer from Kroger for $2.18/lb. not the best cutting job in the world, but it should turn out well, was fresh at least.

as far as the fat side up/down, I've got a couple shoulders on the UDS now and will be doing the brisket after. I've got a 20" pizza pan I'm using as a heat defuser so I can go fat side up and let the fat render. We'll see how it turns out.
Panthers65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #174
45fan
Full Fledged Farker

I am glad to see this back to the top. I really appreciated this tutorial. I used this for my flat last week and it turned out a very good brisket. Mine may have been a little overdone, but that would be my mistake. Great post!

I am really looking forward to doing the packer. Does the point have to go back on the smoker that day or could it be frozen as is and they finished at a later date?

Thanks!

Thanks for taking time to do this Chris!
45fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #175
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Packer going on the UDS tonight . . . can't wait!

I'm without a probe thermo until my new Maverick arrives next week, so I guess its "dial it in and pray" while I try to grab some sleep!
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen

Old 04-03-2011, 12:05 AM   #176
jimithing78
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb0bbby View Post
What is the avg price per lb people are paying?
My local maket is charging $5 per lb.

Seems high. I think my costco is around $2.49/pound for a full packer. I think even the regular grocery stores around here are cheaper than $5/pound. A good time to look for them on sale is around the major summer holidays (4th of July, Labor Day, Memorial Day). The vacuum packed ones keep in the freezer quite well.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:28 AM   #177
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimithing78 View Post
I think my costco is around $2.49/pound for a full packer.
Got mine this morning at Smart & Final (Southern Cal) for about the same.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #178
Panthers65
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimithing78 View Post
Seems high. I think my costco is around $2.49/pound for a full packer. I think even the regular grocery stores around here are cheaper than $5/pound. A good time to look for them on sale is around the major summer holidays (4th of July, Labor Day, Memorial Day). The vacuum packed ones keep in the freezer quite well.

$2.19 at the local Kroger here in Stone Mountain.

BTW-got my Brisket finished up this morning, and had a heck of a judge staff waiting on my. My best friend is Asian and he had an open house today. 70 Asians all in the kitchen and the only empty plate was the Brisket plate. My new favorite thing to cook, and by far my new favorite BBQ to eat.

I screwed up more than a few briskets before this thread, no longer!
Panthers65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2011, 02:38 AM   #179
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Threw my 10 lb. full packer on the UDS at 2 am yesterday. Got temp dialed in and then re-checked at 4 a.m., then again at 6. Realized at 6 that I'd put it fat side up. When I flipped it, I saw that it was pretty dark on the bottom. Wondering if I had some temp spikes while I was sleeping.

At 10 hours the probe slid into the point like butter, but the flat still had some resistance (not much, but not as "buttery" as the point). So I let it go another 1/2 hour, then started getting worried about how charred it was looking. Pulled it out, foiled it with some apple juice and threw it into a 250 degree oven indoors. Pulled it from the oven after another 1/2 hour or so (now I was just getting nervous) and decided that I had to use my digital thermo - flat read 210. I think I overcooked it.

Refoiled it and let it rest for a couple of hours. Friends came over for dinner. The point meat was amazing - incredibly tender and delicious. Flat was sort of tough to slice (at least the carmelized non-fat-cap side. It tasted great too but was clearly overcooked.

I'm thinking that my results next time will be nearly perfect if:

1) I keep the brisket fat cap down the whole time, and
2) I have better temperature management on my UDS.

Going to try briquettes next time on the UDS, and I'll have my new Maverick wireless thermo, which should let me sleep without worrying about smoker temp spikes.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:17 AM   #180
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

I smoked a brisket yesterday, my point was done before the flat also.
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisket, brisket tutorial, How to cook the perfect brisket