MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Basic "Like A Brisket" Tutorial

I haven't seen many requests recently for "Like a Brisket" tutorials from people who are thinking about cooking other pieces of meat like a brisket for the first time (See the Like A Brisket Roadmap for more info which will help you understand how this process came to be known as "like a brisket"). There are a few brisket tutorials out there (like my own here), but I thought a basic tutorial showing how to make a simple first time like-a-brisket would be nice to have. So I set out to make this here.

This basic like-a-brisket which I am talking about is a no-frills, just plain good and tasty piece of meat cooked like a brisket without all the fuss with explanations or reasonings for why things happen, such as stalls, evaporation, dryness, toughness, etc. I just leave it real basic here. These instructions might make a great piece of meat cooked like a brisket every time with basically zero chance of messing up (or maybe not), with absolutely no hard to understand directions that may cause lots of hard to answer questions to the first-time like-a-brisket maker. If this is your first ever like-a-brisket, and you simply want to know how to make a good like-a-brisket right now, this could very well be for you.

The first time someone sets out to make like-a-brisket they have a ton of questions. What is meat, what is the difference between fat and connective tissue, what causes the stall, do I foil, what woods do I use, what temp do I cook it at, why would I want to cook that like a brisket, etc. I do not intend to answer any of these questions, and in fact, I will shed light on none of them and dodge a couple others.

The first question I am not going to answer is, "What is a like-a-brisket?"

Below you will see a picture of a Round Sirloin Tip Roast from Sams Club still in the cryovac wrapper.

This piece of meat has muscles and stuff running through it, and is considered a lean and somewhat tender piece of meat. In fact, if you look up info on this meat, everyone will say it will be tough and dry if cooked past 160 degrees internal. That is unless you cook it like a brisket (as hard as that may seem to believe). It does have some fat deposits in various places, and connective tissue holding the whole thing together (otherwise it could not be a piece of meat), but nowhere near as much fat or connective tissue as in a brisket. Technically, all meat has connective tissues, and if you consider the accepted theory that cooking like a brisket breaks down these connective tissues to make a moist, tender product, then logically this piece of meat can also make a tender, juicy product if cooked like a brisket.

This particular piece of meat is USDA Choice as indicated by the stamp on the packaging. Choice like-a-briskets are a good choice if you want a good like-a-brisket. I always look for the best looking like-a-briskets meat-quality-wise first, and then the one that would be the most unexpected to be cooked like a brisket.

I removed the meat from the cryovac and applied a layered rub, the same rub as described in my brisket tutorial thread. I put the rubbed like-a-brisket in a pan.

You do not have to put yours in a pan if you do not want to. I do not always use a pan when I cook like-a-brisket, so this is optional, and can be determined based on what you are trying to do at the time. One question I will not be answering is, "Why did you put it in a pan".

I put this on my WSM to cook at 270 degrees.

Three hours later, it looked like this.

Then I foiled it.

The next question I'm not going to answer is "Why did you foil it?". Some people foil their like-a-briskets because they claim it speeds up the cooking and avoids the dreaded stall. The next questions I am not going to answer are "what is the dreaded stall", "why does it happen", and "why is it so dreadful". Instead I am simply going to wrap the meat in foil, the same way wrapping my head in foil helps in other confusing sorts of situations.

The next question I'm not going to answer is "what the heck was that stuff you added to the meat along with the foil"? Sorry, but this stuff is ancient pitmaster knowledge that can only be learned with lots of experience. It might look like carrots and potatoes, but that is just an optical trick I learned to prevent people from shigging my secrets.

I let the like-a-brisket continue cooking in the foil until it was probe tender. I poked a hole in the top of the foil with my probe the first time I checked for tenderness. I used this same hole each time I checked for tenderness, going in at a few different angles to check the tenderness throughout the meat. This helped to keep the foil environment as sealed as possible without having to completely open it and refoil each time.

The next question I am not going to answer is "what temp was it done"? I have no idea what the temperature was, and frankly, I don't care. What I am interested in is having a tender, juicy like-a-brisket. So temperature does not matter. Tenderness does. It was done when my probe slid in like a hot knife through butter. Now, by chance, the probe I used was my Thermopen, and it did say 207.4 on that last probe, but again, I was not trying to actually take the temperature but instead was focusing on the tenderness. I also did not go by time, but by tenderness. I did happen to notice that it was done after 6 hours and 45 minutes, but that was not how I determined it was done.

I let the like-a-brisket rest uncovered for a bit to let the juices redistribute throughout the meat. The smell was wonderful, and smelled like a brisket. Not all like-a-briskets needs to smell like brisket, especially if they are not beef. This one did smell like a brisket however.

Then I sliced it. As you can tell, it was tender (it was somewhat fall-apart at the edges but not the center), juicy and delicious, just the way a perfectly prepared like-a-brisket should be.

So now, with this tutorial, you too can cook like-a-brisket. This method might just work for any cut of meat you can think of (or maybe not). Sure, there may be other ways to add complexity to the whole thing, but starting with the basics like this is the best way to start learning. This is a seemingly sure-fire way to make a good like-a-brisket (in theory at least). Now that you know this method, feel free to start experimenting with other methods you think could make the best like-a-brisket, until you settle on your own sure-fire method.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

That looks great. I especially like the optical tricks!

Does Spam have lots of connective tissue?
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-26-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
That looks great. I especially like the optical tricks!

Does Spam have lots of connective tissue?
How do you think it stays in the can?

In the interest of full disclosure however, this particular roast just didn't taste as good as brisket in my opinion. This was the same with landarc's tri-tip cooked like a brisket, and with my brisket cooked like a tri-tip. So this might be a common theme, and the only thing that tastes as good as brisket when it is cooked like brisket is brisket. Go figure!

I would say that I probably would not make that particular roast like a brisket again.

There was also a lot more meat from this than from a brisket, so I have lots of leftovers.

It should make for some good chili I think.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
King
Full Fledged Farker

Jealous!

22.5" Weber Smoky Mountain Smoker
22.5" Weber OTG
Weber Spirit E-310
Brinkman offset smoker
Brinkman ECB smoker (modified)
UDS (under construction)
King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
How do you think it stays in the can?

In the interest of full disclosure however, this particular roast just didn't taste as good as brisket in my opinion. This was the same with landarc's tri-tip cooked like a brisket, and with my brisket cooked like a tri-tip. So this might be a common theme, and the only thing that tastes as good as brisket when it is cooked like brisket is brisket. Go figure!
There is a reason that we cook things the way that we do. Yes, you can cook them differently and still get good results, sometimes even great results, but in general I have found that we cook things the way we do because that is optimal, or at least a local optimization. Lots of people experiment, but the best methods are copied the most.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
landarc

I gotta say, this is really making me rethink what I have considered to be truth in cooking. All kidding aside, I can't help but wonder about all of this. Truth is, I should have known some of this, as I am quite conversant in cooking eye of round, from super lean and tough to fork tender. It is a puzzle still. I am thinking chili, although I still can't imagine why I wouldn't just use brisket for that use anyways.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
bingo1912
Take a breath!

Bravo!
Well done! (no pun intended)

Old 12-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #8
gtr

I cooked a chuckie like a brisket once - to slicing rather than pulling temps and I thought it was really dang good.

Now I'm wondering if I should cook a hot dog like a brisket.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2013, 01:33 AM   #9
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Great looking piece of meat.

Tri-tip like a brisket is my personal favorite!

Old 12-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

I miss Biggie's cooks.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

link please......or would a search work??

Paul B
SS UDS
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
sharris
Found some matches.

Wow! Awesome!
As a newbie I thank you for this simple tutorial! Now I'm hungry.
sharris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Jumped like a shark, like a brisket, tutorial