MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:05 PM   #526
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Apple Q sauce... now that sounds GOOD! Nice cook! Looks like you and MAK are getting along just fine :)
The Apple Q is excellent on pork. I have already cashed two bottles. Me and the MAK had a few issues, but seems to be coming along now. I am not overly thrilled with the grill as I once was, but none the less it is a fantastic grill and it does lay down the smoke. I am actually looking into a gravity fed cabinet. Looking at the stumps and the Assassin and tossing around the JW Ole Hickory. Will defiantly have one of the three by spring time.

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-18-2018, 04:34 PM   #527
JLStout
Got Wood.

I bought the Daniel Boone (big one) for myself for my birthday, and I love it.
JLStout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #528
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westx View Post
This beauty finally showed up today. Currently seasoning for a few hours. Will be cooking ribs and chicken on Sunday.
Nice, congrats on the new pellet. I was talking with Assassin grills before I bought the MAK. I was looking at the 36” Charcoal grill but I had no idea at that time they did a pellet or I would have have bought it on the spot. I am having a love hate relationship with the MAK 2 star at the moment but IMO the computer (Pellet Boss) is state of the art and will good for many years. I still have not figured it out yet, but when I have some free time I am going learn the how 2’s of this thing.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:12 PM   #529
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post
Nice, congrats on the new pellet. I was talking with Assassin grills before I bought the MAK. I was looking at the 36” Charcoal grill but I had no idea at that time they did a pellet or I would have have bought it on the spot. I am having a love hate relationship with the MAK 2 star at the moment but IMO the computer (Pellet Boss) is state of the art and will good for many years. I still have not figured it out yet, but when I have some free time I am going learn the how 2’s of this thing.
Lotta MAK2 owners here, so don't hesitate to ask. I love mine, for sure. And, I'm sure you already know, but Pelletsmoking.com has direct connect to the owner of MAK, so you'll get a hardline for answers there.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:26 PM   #530
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darita View Post
Lotta MAK2 owners here, so don't hesitate to ask. I love mine, for sure. And, I'm sure you already know, but Pelletsmoking.com has direct connect to the owner of MAK, so you'll get a hardline for answers there.
You can also call MAK and talk to Dennis, he'll bend over backwards to help you out.
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2018, 09:27 PM   #531
smoke ninja

another question.

pellet cookers are not as set and forget as I once believed. yes I know this is compounded by having a cheap one but for me a dialed I drum has less to go wrong than a pellet cooker. what they are is convenient and provide unparrelled ease of use.

one of the issues with unattended cooks i have found is the pellets tunneling. after time I'm left with a hole in the hopper. my question is how long on a full hopper can one expect to run before this is an problem? any mods or such to get a longer run without stirring the pellets?

Old 10-21-2018, 09:34 PM   #532
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
another question.

pellet cookers are not as set and forget as I once believed. yes I know this is compounded by having a cheap one but for me a dialed I drum has less to go wrong than a pellet cooker. what they are is convenient and provide unparrelled ease of use.

one of the issues with unattended cooks i have found is the pellets tunneling. after time I'm left with a hole in the hopper. my question is how long on a full hopper can one expect to run before this is an problem? any mods or such to get a longer run without stirring the pellets?
I have only done one, what I would call unattended cook on my Yoder. Went about 7 hours without being home. No problems. I generally check my pellets every few hours and just smooth them out with my hands, to ensure proper feed. I have read that you can put car wax, on the inside of your hopper, to help efficent feeding, but haven't had a problem, so I haven't tried it.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2018, 09:40 PM   #533
16Adams

Today was my first day loading the hopper within a couple inches of the top on the DC. 3.5 hours later it was below the hand guard in the middle. I put a mesquite limb by mine to push pellets. It didn’t need it yet, and I’ve never let it go to find out if side pellets will eventually fall.

Last edited by 16Adams; 11-14-2018 at 06:29 PM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2018, 09:44 PM   #534
tom b

I'm comfortable up to 4 hrs

Old 10-21-2018, 09:48 PM   #535
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I think most hopper designs have that little flat spot around the auger hole. That is the problem. That little flat ledge can hold back a lot of pellets. Seems like a very simple fix. Maybe I'm missing something. Letting it run below 2/3 is not a good idea. I guess get the biggest hopper you need for your cooks. I guessed 10 hours for my longest cook and went with a 20LB hopper. I experimented with 7LBS and after 4 hours i had to push the pellets in to fill the void.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2018, 11:18 PM   #536
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Haven't had any problems with tunneling on either of my GMGs. PG1000 no problems either. I've run them several times overnight with no problems...so, about 8 hrs at a crack, or long enough to hear the low pellet alarm screaming.
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2018, 11:57 PM   #537
electron_si
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : N/A

Yeah the traeger pellet box design sucks. I’m planning on cutting a couple of sheet metal pieces and attaching with RTV that angle the bottom straight into the hopper. That flat ledge is what causes the tunneling IMO.

I’ve gone 6 hours unattended overnight and had to stir the pellets as soon as I got up.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:18 PM   #538
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Alright so I got some grill grates and a ton of pellets. Mak 1 star should be here tomorrow. I’ll definitely cook on it this weekend.

Last edited by BKING!; 11-24-2018 at 08:11 PM..
BKING! is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-24-2018, 06:20 PM   #539
tom b

standing by for pics

Old 10-24-2018, 06:27 PM   #540
gtsum
Babbling Farker

I did many 12 plus hour cooks on my yoder and never messed with the pellets...did a 20 hour cook on the Memphis and never touched the pellets either (old school low and slow at 225 all the way through just to test it out). I havent had any tunneling issues with the Davy Crockett either
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote