MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

Default To Bark or Not To Bark

Did a cook this weekend, been doing several lately to learn my new R&O Off-Sets ways and learned something about wood.

Last week I had posted asking about 2-3" pecan limbs that I had gathered from my buddy's house. They had been cut and stacked in a dry location and aged for about 6 months. I couldn't get the things to burn to save my life! Ended up switching to my split oak.

It may have been in part to where I was cooking. The wind kept changing direction (was more of a refreshing breeze) and would either come perpendicular to the firebox or blow gently into it. I notice with the dampers half open that when the breeze blew perpendicular to the firebox that the temp wouldn't take a drop but that the fire would start having issues.

So 2 big questions:
1. Those with Off-Set cookers - when setting up your pits how do you position the firebox for handling breezes? How do you position your pits for heavy wind?

2. Those with Off-Set cookers - I am leaning towards SPLIT wood and not un-split rounds, such as from smaller tree limbs. What are y'all's thoughts on this?

Thanks,
G

Old 07-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

I live on a lake; my smoker is +-200 feet from the shore. It's too large to move around, so in answer to your first question; I dont move it. Regardless of type of wind and/or direction, it stays the same.

For the second question, I use fairly large VERY dry (and warmed usually) splits. It's RARE that I use an unsplt limb section.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->