MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
Tim Campbell
On the road to being a farker

Default I wish I was handy

I just saw Pappy's build. Farking Amazing! My amazing skill as an adult male is I can type 60 words a minute. I can barely use a saw.

Thanks from: --->

Old 06-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

You need to team up with someone who IS handy. Most of us are happy to help those who are not handy, as long as they listen and put forth the effort.

One of my best friends, before he and his family moved away, used to invite me over for dinner, and I'd always ask him if I needed to bring tools.

I always did it because A) he fed me, and B) he had a genuine interest in learning how to do things. I would get him started, and he would take over, with my guidance.

Seriously, as long as you are willing to roll up your sleeves, work, and learn, I think you will find your handy friends are happy to help you.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

OK, not picking on you Tim, but I see way to many posts complimenting a builder (I agree Pappy's is great) but lamenting "no skill". If you have somewhere to work (kind of essential), get some basic tools: drill, sawzall, angle grinder & a cheap welder (with the cheap ass "how to" book); go to a scrap yard and get $50 of assorted 1-8 to 1/4 scrap steel; and, start cutting, welding and grinding. You will be amazed at how quickly you can create some workable stuff - not a nuclear submarine quality, but workable. And, the personal satisfaction of accomplishment can't be beat. Who knows, you might even build a cooker. Best of luck!

Old 06-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
reccymech
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Have a go mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
OK, not picking on you Tim, but I see way to many posts complimenting a builder (I agree Pappy's is great) but lamenting "no skill". If you have somewhere to work (kind of essential), get some basic tools: drill, sawzall, angle grinder & a cheap welder (with the cheap ass "how to" book); go to a scrap yard and get $50 of assorted 1-8 to 1/4 scrap steel; and, start cutting, welding and grinding. You will be amazed at how quickly you can create some workable stuff - not a nuclear submarine quality, but workable. And, the personal satisfaction of accomplishment can't be beat. Who knows, you might even build a cooker. Best of luck!
Yep, totally agree.

Really, where's there's a will, there's a way. It's all a case of 'baby steps'. Start off with 'el-cheapo' tools and go from there. With the inter-webby thingy nowadays there is so much info out there (maybe a bit too much) anything is possible to anyone.
reccymech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Campbell View Post
I just saw Pappy's build. Farking Amazing! My amazing skill as an adult male is I can type 60 words a minute. I can barely use a saw.
Hey so I'm not the only one . I can't build anything either, but I live vicariously through the build threads on this site . I don't have much time for building anything anyways. There are a few tools in my garage, but I think the universal tool kit I keep in my camper for competitions has more tools that what I have at the house .

Old 06-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
Bludawg

Check with your local School system for adult edu. classes. Some offer courses in metal & wood working, auto mechanics, electrical wiring ect. for about a "C"note you get hands on and a certificate of completion for your I love Me Wall.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

This is great advice! Here in Florida many of our 2-year junior schools (they all just went to 4-year BA/BS programs) have technical programs like welding that are taught in the evenings for working folk. Or a friend with skills and a teaching interest can be just as good. Just remember, there is a big difference between pipe-fitters & professional welders/metal workers and what it takes to be competent at building a fire basket or smoker - our stuff ain't rocket surgery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
You need to team up with someone who IS handy. Most of us are happy to help those who are not handy, as long as they listen and put forth the effort.

One of my best friends, before he and his family moved away, used to invite me over for dinner, and I'd always ask him if I needed to bring tools.

I always did it because A) he fed me, and B) he had a genuine interest in learning how to do things. I would get him started, and he would take over, with my guidance.

Seriously, as long as you are willing to roll up your sleeves, work, and learn, I think you will find your handy friends are happy to help you.

CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Check with your local School system for adult edu. classes. Some offer courses in metal & wood working, auto mechanics, electrical wiring ect. for about a "C"note you get hands on and a certificate of completion for your I love Me Wall.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

We don't have too many tools. Welder & angle grinder did most of the work. We had some help from a friend that has an computer aided plasma cutter.

I have only been welding for about 1 year. I can do the basics. Huntin Smoke in the welder. He has one of them thar fancy degees in welding.

And I can't type.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by reccymech View Post
Start off with 'el-cheapo' tools and go from there.
With all due respect, I'd argue with this statement.
As my profession, and various hobbies, I've been around metal, wood, and auto tools as long as I can recall. There are some types of tools that in their ultra-uber-cheapo condition are down right dangerous. In the very least cheap tools are frustrating, to say the least. But as "a tool guy", I'd be careful making blanket statement about telling a tool noob to "go cheap".
In the very least, they'll provide him with frustration and push him away from DIYing. Worst case, he'll hurt himself. It's like putting a 15 year old kid on the street for the first time with a car that fails a state safety inspection for a laundry list of failures.

The difference between a $29 Walmart circular saw and a $100 unit is nothing short of righteous.

Sorry for the rant, I don't mean to bash, but that was a "button" for me.
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
Bludawg

When it comes to buying tools spend wisely! Buy quality, buy once, pass it on to your son. My very bottom in tool quality is craftsman unless you need pro quality( everyday use) tey last almost forever and come with a if you break it we replace it warranty.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
Tim Campbell
On the road to being a farker

I also don't have a garage!

Old 06-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Walk-out basement?

Old 06-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #13
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

If you come to Ohio I'll help you.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #14
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

Where there is a will there is a way! i never welded or worked with metal before.. but me and my pops cranked out a decent build doing the work ourselves! take one step at a time.. don't be afraid to put forth the effort. everything my not turn out perfect.. but the great thing about metal.. is you can weld it back and grind it down and make it like new again.. it may be frustrating in the beginning.. but perserverance and will.. make anything possible!

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

There's no bigger sence of pride than building something with your own hands.

1 members found this post helpful.