MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
BayoustateBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Default My new smoking chunks contraption

Well just thought I would mess around today and come up with a way to smoke chunks without either throwing them in or putting them in tin foil. What I did was take an old (it's a little bit smaller than a#10 can) and welded a handle on the side. Do not put holes in the side of it I dropped my chunks in it and put tinfoil over the top real tight and poked holes in the foil with a fork.
Just set it on the coals and it is putting put an amazing blue smoke. Need more smoke, empty it and repeat. Hope you enjoy

[SIZE=3][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=Black]R[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I][COLOR=Black][FONT=Trebuchet MS]eal men like their Pork[/FONT] [/COLOR]Pulled"[/I][/COLOR][/B] [/SIZE]:peace:
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153581"]How to smoke a 14 lb tender brisket in 4 hours![/URL][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
BayoustateBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Interesting idea, I normally just throw the chunks in, what are the advantages you get doing this?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Chitown_hillbilly
Full Fledged Farker

I'm sure it's not, but your pail looks galvanized...
Chitown_hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
BayoustateBBQ

Oh no not galv. It's really rusty and I tried to sand blast some of the rust off to no avail. You're probably seeing some sand blast marks. To me doing this method is just a much cleaner and even smoke when you eliminate the cumbustion factors and for the most part the smoke lasts longer. Afterwords you'll have some black pieces of wood you can use in your charcoal. It will burn but it's certainly not like lump.
[SIZE=3][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=Black]R[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I][COLOR=Black][FONT=Trebuchet MS]eal men like their Pork[/FONT] [/COLOR]Pulled"[/I][/COLOR][/B] [/SIZE]:peace:
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153581"]How to smoke a 14 lb tender brisket in 4 hours![/URL][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 02-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
BayoustateBBQ

Well here's the deal guys, these few chunks I poured out of the can stayed smoking for 2.5-3 hours. Not bad. This was the same amount I put in

Gonna try this on my 14 lb brisket tomorrow. Alot of you would say why would I do this on an offset......saves wood and a more controlled smoke imo
[/SIZE]

Old 02-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
LM600
Full Fledged Farker

I've got an old steel frying pan that I use to pop the chunks / chips in and then put this onto the coals....I don't foil it though, I'll try that next time :)

Old 02-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM600 View Post
I've got an old steel frying pan that I use to pop the chunks / chips in and then put this onto the coals....I don't foil it though, I'll try that next time :)
That's a great example of KISS. Well done!
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

You pretty much made your own lump charcoal WHILE cooking.Talk about efficient.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
BayoustateBBQ

One thing I found out is you probably don't have to put it on your coals just in your fire box. A couple times I think it got too hot on my coals and started combusting inside the can...you'll know when flames are coming out LOL. When I placed it off to the side of the coals I had a constant nice smoke coming out of the can. When finished yes I did have what looked like lump charcoal. Haven't tried burning that yet. I think the tin foil does help by eliminating alot of oxygen which if hot enough with start to flame up
[/SIZE]