Review My Ceramic Grill Store Shopping List?

TedW

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I figured I'd get whatever I thought I might need and get it all at once. So far for my Large BGE:

Large Customer Combo which includes:
Adjustable Rig
Spider
13" Round Stone
13 x 17 Oval Grid
13" Drip Pan
Pair of Crossbars
16" Stainless Drip Pan

Large Adj. Rig Crossbars (to allow for a second grid)

Not sure about what extra grids I should get. Size? Oval vs round?

I also want to get a really big and beautiful cast grid for searing big steaks but don't see them at CGStore. I think a cast grid is what I need for this function?

Thanks for any help

You could also get a 13" (Small Egg size) cast iron grid to set on the spider
& get a really great sear as it'd only be a couple of inches above the lump.
I could be wrong but I think a med CI grid will fit with the spider hanging down.

I don't mind having the fire higher and the grid higher as well. So an 18" grate is the goal.

I guess in my mind I was looking for a grate that had triangle shaped profile. Fat on the bottom and thinner on top and heavy, heavy. Like the grates in the pics on ThirdEye. There are lots of round rod grates, and maybe they're preferred. I'm not experienced enough to know.

You could also get a 13" (Small Egg size) cast iron grid to set on the spider
& get a really great sear as it'd only be a couple of inches above the lump.
I could be wrong but I think a med CI grid will fit with the spider hanging down.

the ci grid for the small is what i use in my large on the spider.

I don't mind having the fire higher and the grid higher as well. So an 18" grate is the goal.

I guess in my mind I was looking for a grate that had triangle shaped profile. Fat on the bottom and thinner on top and heavy, heavy. Like the grates in the pics on ThirdEye. There are lots of round rod grates, and maybe they're preferred. I'm not experienced enough to know.

the small ci grid that many/most(?) dealers sell for the eggs are the triangular shaped.

it's good to have a ci grid that fits with the spider down towards the coals. i can't say that it's better than a bigger one farther away though.

Thanks DS. Seems like a few folks like to get the grid down quite low. I understand the other option is to turn the heat up a bit and have the grate up higher. Still looking for that perfect 18" super grate

I figured I'd get whatever I thought I might need and get it all at once. So far for my Large BGE:

Large Customer Combo which includes:
Adjustable Rig
Spider
13" Round Stone
13 x 17 Oval Grid
13" Drip Pan
Pair of Crossbars
16" Stainless Drip Pan

Large Adj. Rig Crossbars (to allow for a second grid)

Not sure about what extra grids I should get. Size? Oval vs round?

I also want to get a really big and beautiful cast grid for searing big steaks but don't see them at CGStore. I think a cast grid is what I need for this function?

Thanks for any help

i like/want the 13 inch round stone, but i like the oval one better. i like the way it extends more toward the fire box than the traditional round one. if i were to ever do just one slab of ribs (never) or things such as meatloaf, it can prevent burnt ends from possible flareups.

the drip pans i have and are nice, but are not necessary...

not sure what i'm really saying here. i can see a use for anything on that site that fits any of my eggs.

All sizes of the BGE CI grids that I've seen/use have the triangular bar profile you're talking about Ted.
I haven't compared them to any other brands to see if there is anything heavier duty.

Last edited:
Oval stone. Good description of the need. Thanks!

Im now mostly trying to get a handle on the grate selection from them. I like to do ribs and that stackability seems optimal. So I guess sliding grates from them...

Alll size of the BGE CI grids that I've seen/use have the triangular bar profile you're talking about Ted.
I haven't compared them to any other brands to see if there is anything heavier duty.

Really? I looked and they looked round, but their pics aren't the best.

I have Small, Large, & 1/2 moon XL CI grids from BGE & all are triangular. Can set them up for thick or thin grill marks depending on preference.

Alll size of the BGE CI grids that I've seen/use have the triangular bar profile you're talking about Ted.

it would be hard to believe that there would be a heavier duty ci grid than the bge one. the one for my small weighs a ton. can't even imagine what one for a large would weigh.

ted... on the ci grids.... i only cook for me and the wife and oldest child (the youngest is too young to eat q) and we cook steaks and cuts of beef and pork pretty often. one thing nice about the smaller ci grid is searing the meat lower in the flames (and it will hold three steaks) and then pulling it up higher in the grill to bring it to temp. this is especially true with larger cuts of meat that require more cooking time (pork loin, etc...). if you have to cook too long on the cast iron, you run a pretty good risk of getting a little more sear than desired. once i get the good sear i'm looking for, if it needs additional cooking time, i actually like putting it on the standard bge grid.

Oval stone. Good description of the need. Thanks!

Im now mostly trying to get a handle on the grate selection from them. I like to do ribs and that stackability seems optimal. So I guess sliding grates from them...

the a/r combo comes with an extra grate which enables you to do six slabs pretty easy and possibly more (never tried more than four at once yet).

i need to check out the sliding ones. that must be something new..... hmmm..

Great feedback DS. So you recommend getting the CI grid for a small BGE, to fit the Spider, etc I'm getting from CGStore. Have it hang down to sear. Then up on a different grill altogether that's been up there heating. Could be the original porcelain grate or something else.

Have I got that right?

Great feedback DS. So you recommend getting the CI grid for a small BGE, to fit the Spider, etc I'm getting from CGStore. Have it hang down to sear. Then up on a different grill altogether that's been up there heating. Could be the original porcelain grate or something else.

Have I got that right?

that's what works best for me. the original porcelain is what i use.

Back