CL Cast Iron?

Cast Iron Chef

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Found this on CL. Looked through old posts. Seems it's not bad stuff for cheap. Have no idea what the new would have sold for. Asking $75. Supposed to be new. Is it worth a low ball for a starter set of should I hold out for better quality? No real need except (like need matters) wanting a dutch oven and maybe 1 skillet. What say you?

View attachment cast iron.bmp

I just did a Google search. This set is no longer available on Amazon but I found a 2 year old review that lists retail as being $52.99 at Sam's Club. There's a set on ebay with a BIN of $100.

http://soldierreviews.com/index.php/outdoor-gear/51-wenzel-cast-iron-cookware

I think I'd pass on this unless you can get the set for under $50. This is probably Chinese cast iron and for not much more you can get American made Lodge stuff or if you really want to get something cool buy some old Griswold pieces off ebay.

It might take you longer, but I think you can do better by scouring yard sales and swap meets in search for Wagner or Griswold cast iron. I just recently started collecting, and restoring cast iron, and can routinely find skillets at $5 or less, and dutch ovens for $20 or less depending on the quality. I usually target the dirty and rusty ones, as you can haggle the price down easiest. My last cast iron hunting trip netted me a Lodge Dutch Oven for $5 and seven mix of Lodge/Wagner/Griswold skillets for $10 total. See the site below for all you need to know about cleaning and restoring...

http://www.wag-society.org/cleaning.php

Thanks Guys. I may throw out $25 to see if he takes it until I can find better. If not who cares.

Since scrape metal is bring high dollar people are scraping cookware , check with a junkyard , they will sell it by the weight you be suprise what people wll sell for junk

Since scrape metal is bring high dollar people are scraping cookware , check with a junkyard , they will sell it by the weight you be suprise what people wll sell for junk

Good idea. Didn't think of that. Btw they sold it for $65.00 so didn't miss anything.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.

I don't like any new cast iron, except for the coated stuff. The rest is too rough. If you are patient, and look at garage sales, there are good deals to be had on old Griswold and Wagnerware.

You can also find bargains on eBay, where someone has a DO and lid that aren't "correct" for collectors. If you are buying a DO to use, then who cares if the paring is "correct."

I got a nice Griswold DO and lid for 25 bucks that way, including shipping.

CD

Back