MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 07-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #196
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Default Tips for cutting ribs for McRibs.

Hi!

We've now eaten McRibs three days in a row and I've learned how to and how not to debone ribs. The small end is easy enough to cut flaps with like I showed in my entry. The middle and large bone ends are not more work if done right. First, warm them up a bit so they give to, not resist, your work. Second, leave the membrane on when you originally smoke them -- which I did this time, thank goodness. When you debone the larger rib bones turn them so the membrane side is up and use the presence of the membrane to help free the meat from the bone. I cut them cold yesterday and gave myself quite a bit of work and ended up with pieces. Got smarter today, warmed them up and it was easier to free them from the meat with pressure on either side of the bone at the membrane -- and I ended up with rib fillets in one piece.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->

Old 07-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #197
tarhog
On the road to being a farker

Default Please accept this as my official entry in the Sammie Throwdown

Picked up some chuckies and had a bone in ribeye in the freezer.

Sliced thin and some generic Steakhouse Marinade.

Skewered and ready for the Weber.

Meanwhile, I pitted out some ripe mango's and added some dark brown sugar for a sweet summer treat.

Also went with some stuffed peppers.

Something along these lines.

Some peppers and onions.

Like so.

On the grill and coming along nicely.

Bread down.

Sammich includes the stuffed peppers, avacado, neighbor grown fresh sliced tomatoes and Tostito brand queso cheese. This was actually pretty farkin good.

Thanks for looking.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #198
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

BAM! Super Cook tarhog! Do you cook for an Army?
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #199
Brother Matt
Full Fledged Farker

Holy crap Tarhog, that is a hell of a sammie! Nice job man.

Edited to add: I just noticed that sweet skewer rack thingy you have there. What's the story there? That setup looks awesome.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #200
tarhog
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Matt View Post
Holy crap Tarhog, that is a hell of a sammie! Nice job man.

Edited to add: I just noticed that sweet skewer rack thingy you have there. What's the story there? That setup looks awesome.
Thanks.
A good friend of mine mabe the skewer rack thingy for me. It is basically two pieces of expanded metal welded and bolted together. It keeps the food up off the fire. While you may not get the charred look, it works great in my opinion.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #201
caseydog

Okay, I didn't melt and I haven't been banned, so here is my entry to the sandwich TD.

I love a good steak sandwich, but didn't want to do a traditional steak sandwich.

I started with my basic ingredients. Flat iron steak (which is one of my favorite cuts of beef), some bell pepper and onion, some Boar's Head provolone cheese, and a good bakery roll.

Next, to get ahead of the game, I made up a dressing for the sandwich with equal parts spicy brown mustard and mayo, with a few dashes of Louisiana hot sauce.

While the charcoal chimney was getting the coals ready, I sautéed some onion and bell pepper on the stove -- sorry, but it was 106 outside, so I did some of my cooking in the kitchen.

Once the coals were ready, I tossed the flat iron steak on the grill to cook.

Once the steak was cooked to medium rare, I pulled it. While it rested, I toasted the bread on the grill.

I then sliced the nice red meat...

I then spread the dressing on the toasted roll, piled on the steak, topped it with the sautéed onions and peppers, and some provolone, and put it back on the grill just long enough to melt the cheese.

And here is the finished sandwich.

It was really good. The dressing worked perfectly with the beef. The roll was crunchy, the cheese was melted just right, the onions and peppers were just right, it all came together better than I could have imagined. And, I almost didn't cook it because it was too farking hot outside.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #202
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Default Oh great moderatus please accept my humble submission into the Chicken Sandwich TD.

Wifey brought home a couple of chicken back ribs from the store, so I figured heck I'll make a sandwich. My Dr. said I need to cut down on the sodium so I lightly seasoned them with SM season All to draw out some moisture then hit them with some George Clinton free Chubby Checker/Larry Graham.

Here they are on the Avocado, temp was between 275 and 300 with a chunk of pecan.

Here they are after about 3 hrs and passing the tooth pick test, I was like where's the beef?... err I mean poultry.

I made a nice toasty bun and caramelized some onions, bell pepper and mushrooms I needed something to de-glaze the pan and wasn't sure what to use when sitting right in front of the fridge was a jar of BH Tennessee Red, sounds like it could be good.

I've never had a beef back rib sandwich... errr I mean chicken rib sandwich but it was so good and the onions, bell pepper, mushrooms and Tennessee Red topping was incredible, I'll be doing that again for sure. Thanks for looking

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #203
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

Default just a sandwich entry

I started with a packer cut in half to fit in the containers, I injected with mortons tender quick solution and then brined tinder quick with hony and pickling spices added for several days. After removing from the brine and plain water soaks to remove excess salt. then coated with ground pickling spice, pappy's low salt seasoning and pepper.

apple and cherry wood was used for smoke

UDS was kept at about 225 until probe tender

the smaller piece was done first and hand sliced

(I needed a snack)

the other piece took another 3 hours

it was refrigerated overnight then sliced with the proper precautions

Now to build the sandwich with black rye and spicy brown mustard

Dill pickles

steamed pastrami

Swiss cheese

One for me and one for wife.

[URL]http://www.teddybearcreations-wa.com[/URL]
Note to mods: is the back link ok?
When all else fails ......
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:06 AM   #204
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard
Talking Oh Fleet Admiral, My Fleet Admiral: This is My Entry In The Farking Sandwich TD

Please use this as my entry pic, Sir:

Full cook thread HERE.

Last edited by Moose; 07-30-2012 at 02:51 AM..
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:56 AM   #205
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I have an idea and ingredients for a sammich entry, but I'm having a hard time getting motivated. It's 105 degrees on my patio, and it's only 3:00. If I do it, I'm going to have to just cook the meat on the grill -- that is the the main element. I like to do as much as possible on the grill, but the rest will need to be done in the kitchen.

CD
Is it done yet?

Old 07-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #206
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Is it done yet?

You missed it? Where were you?

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #207
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
You missed it? Where were you?

CD
I was just ribbin' you, CD.

That was a fine steak sammie, BTW!
Old 07-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #208
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

More delicious sammies!!

tarhog -- looks like a blast of flavour, love the idea of avocado to balance the marinade and grilled veggies and the grilled mango looks fantastic

caseydog -- I'm really glad you cooked, too -- love the grilling steak shot and flat irons, too -- the final plate of toasted bun, melted cheese and mustard/mayo dripping is gorgeous -- I see you have lower sodium provolone available, I'll have to see if I do, too

Will work for bbq -- beautiful pic of the finished ribs, holy cow, I mean, holy chicken -- the sandwich with glossy carmelized onions/peppers/shrooms looks really really good

Crazy Harry -- I can see why you needed a snack while slicing -- beautiful pastrami, it's more inspiration to me to try it -- just love what you made the sandwich out of, I want one

Moose -- another pastrami sandwich, man, I've got to get into this too -- past failure vindicated for sure -- looks really good and I love Frenchs yellow on each bite of a smoked meat sandwich too, something beautifully nostalgic about it
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->