MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:56 PM   #16
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

my kirklands wrap(Costco) sez don't microwave with fat or sugar contact and no conventional oven. Nothing about smoker LOL
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2008, 03:58 PM   #17
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Quite possibly, smoking with plastic wrap is the dummest idea since using kitty litter in the water pan.
Is that your Ph.D. (honorary) Bovine $hitology or your ME talking What makes it so stupid. Drawing an analogy to the uncertain results from the article you posted? Where's the comparison between the high energy environment in a microwave and the relativly low energy environment in a smoker? Where's the science.

Live every week like it's shark week
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:10 PM   #18
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Quite possibly, smoking with plastic wrap is the dummest idea since using kitty litter in the water pan.

The idea is not to smoke with plastic. The idea is when you wrap your meat, as alot of people do, and you use plastic, will it melt. I see teams do it all the time and all I am asking is what type of wrap do they use. I do not want to know if it is stupid, dumd, idiotic. What I want to know is what kind of wrap peoiple are using. If you can not answer that question please stay out! Thank You!
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:17 PM   #19
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmadichris View Post
The idea is not to smoke with plastic. The idea is when you wrap your meat, as alot of people do, and you use plastic, will it melt. I see teams do it all the time and all I am asking is what type of wrap do they use. I do not want to know if it is stupid, dumd, idiotic. What I want to know is what kind of wrap peoiple are using. If you can not answer that question please stay out! Thank You!

Good question - I typically use the the Kirkland brand from COSTCO.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:23 PM   #20
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo View Post
my kirklands wrap(Costco) sez don't microwave with fat or sugar contact and no conventional oven. Nothing about smoker LOL
It doesnt even have to melt for there to be chemical leaching. I don't think you have to have an advanced degree in chemical engineering to understand that.

I 'd say your smoker is like an oven. I also know something about the variable chemical properties of plastic wrap and how certain chemicals can migrate out of the wrap and into the food under certain conditions. I would bet that kirklands knows it too and wants to avoid being sued over it.

And lets not overlook the obvious way plastic wrap would inhibit smoke rings; which should be enough of a reason in itself to reject the idea.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:56 PM   #21
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
It doesnt even have to melt for there to be chemical leaching. I don't think you have to have an advanced degree in chemical engineering to understand that.

I 'd say your smoker is like an oven. I also know something about the variable chemical properties of plastic wrap and how certain chemicals can migrate out of the wrap and into the food under certain conditions. I would bet that kirklands knows it too and wants to avoid being sued over it.

And lets not overlook the obvious way plastic wrap would inhibit smoke rings; which should be enough of a reason in itself to reject the idea.
What are the variable conditions, and what does inhibiting my smoke ring have to do with it. I inhibit my smoke ring enough without having to involve plastic wrap. I don't cook in wrap, and I don't think most folks here who are planning on cooking in wrap would wrap from the beginning anyway. Sounds like the wrap when other might foil. What i am likily to do is throw something wrapped into the smoke or oven (at around 200* for the oven) to reheat.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:54 PM   #22
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

I have seen many pros double/triple wrap a brisket in food service wrap and then wrap it in foil also. In fact, i was taught this technique in several cooking classes. I personally only tried it once, and after wrestling with the wrap and having it stick to itself i gave up and will use only foil when needed.

There are wraps out there designed for oven use. Similar to the roasting bags for tukeys and the like. I cannot remember the brand I had(Yellow and blue box), but the label clearly said its good to 300 degrees in the oven. I think if you just check the labels, you'll find one you can experiment with.

Also, the plastic wraps you have seen used are likely much thicker than the regular saran wrap u get in the supermarket for covering your leftovers.

Re: The leaching issue.. who knows.. if its graded as food safe up to 300+ degrees, I would use it. I also marinade stuff in plastic bags that have no rating as food safe and Im not dead yet. In either case, thats a topic for a different thread.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:20 AM   #23
Arlin_MacRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
Re: The leaching issue.. who knows.. if its graded as food safe up to 300+ degrees, I would use it. I also marinade stuff in plastic bags that have no rating as food safe and Im not dead yet. In either case, thats a topic for a different thread.
Good point. The acids in the marinades we use would surely eat away parts of the plastic if it wasn't safe.

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!

Me? Chokin' on a rib bone...

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #24
Mark

Here's the original question:
I have question on using plastic wrap on meat. What brand do you use when using plastic wrap as the initial wrap, followed by aluminum foil. Will any brand work or is there a particular kind I should buy. My biggest fear is having the plastic melt to the meat! Advise on this topic is much appreciated!
If the plastic is formulated for 300 F. ovens, fine. If it isn't, well, you've been warned. Anyway, I'll drop my advice to consider there may be consequences and will leave it up to Darwin.. But if you're interested, google "endocrine disruptors" and/or "phthalates."

Old 04-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #25
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Here's the original question:
I have question on using plastic wrap on meat. What brand do you use when using plastic wrap as the initial wrap, followed by aluminum foil. Will any brand work or is there a particular kind I should buy. My biggest fear is having the plastic melt to the meat! Advise on this topic is much appreciated!
If the plastic is formulated for 300 F. ovens, fine. If it isn't, well, you've been warned. Anyway, I'll drop my advice to consider there may be consequences and will leave it up to Darwin.. But if you're interested, google "endocrine disruptors" and/or "phthalates."

Yes, phthalates bad - the major plastic wrap companies do not use phtalates in their plastic wraps (or so they say). PAH's yes (could be bad, depends on their structure), phthalates no.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #26
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

If you need to wrap in plastic, use the Reynolds brand oven bags. They will not melt under high heat. I used to use them all the time.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #27
BBQ Grail

Got this from Saran Wrap...

Thank you for your email regarding the safety of wrapping hot brisket in Saran™ brand plastic film

The softening point of Saran™ brand plastic film with Cling Plus is 195°F. Please keep in mind that foods higher in fats or sugars heat up quickly and retain heat longer than other foods.

We recommend you call our Product Safety Department at 1-866-231-5406. They will be able to address your addition questions.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:40 AM   #28
Cabntmkr1
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Personally, I believe there are a gazillion other things that we KNOW causes cancer, that this one thing doesn't scare me, in the least.
Wrap on, Brother, wrap on!
[FONT=Arial]ServSafe Certified[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Déjà Moo - The feeling you've heard that bull before. [/FONT]
Cabntmkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #29
Wizards of 'Que
On the road to being a farker

I know several teams which cook in film rather than foil. It will not melt at bbq temps. It seems to work well.

Home of Big Red, "the Manly Man" cooker and
Ole Hickory SDL-x, FE 100, Backwoods Fatboy
Wizards of 'Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:12 AM   #30
Mark

Quote:
I also marinade stuff in plastic bags that have no rating as food safe and Im not dead yet.
I hear your marinade also doubles as a heavy-duty floor cleaning solvent.