BBQ Half Chickens Help Needed

Capt ron

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!
Need your help... I am cooking 50 (1.25 - 1.5 lb) half chickens on my Tucker. I can cook indirect or direct. The Tucker has a adjustable charcoal grate. Where it would be about 18"-24" below cooking grate. I never did half chickens before so any help would be great...

Questions are:
How many hours per pound do you cook the half chicken if I were to cook indirect?

How many hours per pound if I cook the half direct?

Thanks in advance for the help
Capt

I cook

1/2 chickens every Saturday for vending. We cook them at 275 in the pellet pit for about 3 hours. Turn out great.

Word of caution. When cooking lots of chicken, be careful of grease fires!

Thank you too there JBrink...
If I do the chickens in two batch will the first batch be ok in a cooler for 3 hours while the others cook?

Thank you too there JBrink...
If I do the chickens in two batch will the first batch be ok in a cooler for 3 hours while the others cook?
I have cooked as many as 12 chickens chickens split in my Bandera and what i did when they were done was put the halves together and wrap with tinfoil and cooler them immediately. four hours later i removed them and served. they were two hot to handle with your bare hands.
all of the chickens together in the cooler will keep them hot.

Before putting the first batch in the cooler, fill it partially with hot water and let it warm up (I also don't hesitate to leave on the patio in the sun)

Empty water, and dry out.

Put in chicken wrapped in foil, add towels to lessen the air space. This will stay hot for hours.

One thing it won;t do, is keep a crisp to the skin, but that is the bane of smoking chicken to begin with. Couple minutes on the grill or crank up the heat for the hotspot in your cooker might be the key, if thats what your going after.

Take pics, that sounds like a pretty big cook (and cooker!)

When I first started doing chicken on the smoker, this is what I went by:

http://www.thesmokering.com/Chicken/default.jsp

I've changed a couple of things over the years but it sure helped me out in the beginning.

Um, Ritchie:

Posting links to other sites, blogs, news, pics etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brothers and Sisters,

When posting about topics that you've seen on other sites, please include enough of the original posting so that your fellow Brethren can glean enough information here to understand your point. Don't make us leave our home to read information on another blog or website.

Since you found the posting on another site interesting enough to send us there, copy it here. If it's a recipe, add it to our recipes section, photos - add them to our photo albums. Just be sure to credit the source. Let’s continue to build the Brethren knowledge base.

It's OK to include links to the original posting AFTER the copy of the original text, but don't be blatant about it.

I'm pretty much a follow the rules kinda guy

Um, Ritchie:

I'm pretty much a follow the rules kinda guy

Somebody should shut you the fark up - Isn't that what it says under you name Mr Law & Order, Fred Thompson wanna be. When you gonna let the world know about your political plans... I'm gonna post something political in "the Wood Pile" just to piss you off Mr. "follow the rules kinda guy..."

Yeah I know, I hate having to follow links too and I would have just copied and pasted it but it's one of those sites that you have to "page through" to see everything and there is some pretty good info there.

Does this mean I'm grounded for the weekend?:biggrin:

Somebody should shut you the fark up - Isn't that what it says under you name Mr Law & Order, Fred Thompson wanna be. When you gonna let the world know about your political plans... I'm gonna post something political in "the Wood Pile" just to piss you off Mr. "follow the rules kinda guy..."

Yes, it hurts to be me.

Go home!

Does this mean I'm grounded for the weekend?:biggrin:

Only if you start a "What I did while grounded" thread, in Politics, to piss off Richard.

BOT

Half chickens rock!

Half chickens rock!
Because they only have one leg?

We now return to the half chicken thread, already in progress...

Coolering works well. Wrap 'em tight in foil and into a cooler, the 5-day ones work great, and they'll raise in temp and then slowly fall. I wouldn't be afraid of leaving them in there for a few hours.

Back