MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:33 AM   #1
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Pork Shoulders and Whole Chickens

Just got asked to cook for a church dinner ... they have 6 Pork Shoulders (bone in) weighing an average of 8.5lbs. They are going to buy chickens this week and were wanting to know how many to get. Estimated they will have 300 people. I know the norm is around 1/2 lb per person... I'm thinking 12 to 14 chickens but want to check with my fellow brethren.

Thanks,
Gerry

Old 04-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
Bigr314
Babbling Farker

wow, sounds like one heck of a cook.
Shirley Fabrication 24x50 RF with warmer(Boss Hogg)

Tab Benoit- Must listen to this artist. A cross between southern blues,Stevie Ray, and Louisiana cajun. Great listening while having a brew and tending the stick burner.
Bigr314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

Anyone else agree with my math? 6 shoulder and 14 chickens be enough for 300 peeps where we will be serving them.... its all getting pulled / shredded and going on buns (that is their request).

Old 04-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
HeathBarkley
On the road to being a farker

I've never cooked for that many people, but the other day I was reading a caterer's website and he listed some suggested food amounts per person when ordering for a party. He listed options for one meat and two meats. If one meat, it was 5 ounces per person pork or beef, or 1 chicken for 3 people. If two meats, then 4 ounces per person and 1 chicken for 4 people. And I'm sure the beef and pork weights were post cook.

Going by this and your estimated 300, you'll need 75 chickens and 75lbs of cooked pork.

Like I said, I read this from a caterer's website, but it sounds right. But this is assuming you are allowing people to eat from both meats.
HeathBarkley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
wrenfro12
Full Fledged Farker

That does not sound like enough at all.....

8.5 lb bone in shoulder will yield about 4.5 lb of meat each ..... that's a total of 27 lbs cooked pork. at 1/2 lb per person that is 54 servings.

chickens will give 6 pieces per bird.....14 birds will give 84 pieces

It is a church function however....a quick prayer like John 6:11 and you never know how many you could feed.

Wilbur's Been Smokin' Somethin'
Woodstock, GA

wilbursbbq.com
wrenfro12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #6
BBQinMI
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenfro12 View Post
That does not sound like enough at all.....

8.5 lb bone in shoulder will yield about 4.5 lb of meat each ..... that's a total of 27 lbs cooked pork. at 1/2 lb per person that is 54 servings.

chickens will give 6 pieces per bird.....14 birds will give 84 pieces

It is a church function however....a quick prayer like John 6:11 and you never know how many you could feed.
I think he said it is all getting shredded or pulled. So I think they will be doing pulled pork and shredded chicken sandwiches.

But I still don't think its enough for 300 people, but I am not sure how many shredded chicken sandwiches you get from a chicken
BBQinMI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2014, 12:27 PM   #7
wrenfro12
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQinMI View Post
I think he said it is all getting shredded or pulled....

I got to typing and lost track of that. If each bird is about 2.5 lbs - 3 lbs. Lets just say you get 2.5 lbs of shredded/pulled chicken from each bird. 14 birds would give a total of 35 lbs of chicken meat. With the 1/2 pound serving there is still only enough for 70 servings.

If both pork and chicken were 1/4 lb servings there would still only be enough for 70 chicken and 108 pork. That would leave 122 hungry people.

Woodstock, GA

wilbursbbq.com

Old 04-16-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

They picked up 2 more pork shoulders and are getting 24 birds. That is about the max of their budget. So, I'll have to make it work. I am still worried about not having enough space on the pit to cook it all at once but I can work around that.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #9
BBQinMI
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDGeek View Post
They picked up 2 more pork shoulders and are getting 24 birds. That is about the max of their budget. So, I'll have to make it work. I am still worried about not having enough space on the pit to cook it all at once but I can work around that.

Don't be afraid with pulled pork and chicken to cook ahead of time and vacuum seal and freeze. Just reheat by dropping bags in boiling water
BBQinMI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #10
HeathBarkley
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDGeek View Post
Well, more have been fed with less. A prayer over the cooker wouldn't hurt either. I'm sure you will get everything ready in time. So, best of luck. I'm sure the church appreciates everything you are doing for them.
HeathBarkley is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-16-2014, 01:35 PM   #11
wrenfro12
Full Fledged Farker

I don't know if they have the volunteer support to pull it off but plating will have less waste than buffet style.

Woodstock, GA

wilbursbbq.com

Old 04-16-2014, 06:05 PM   #12
mikemci
Babbling Farker

Maybe you could ask for people to bring bigger quantities of sides. Also give them 2-3 slices of bread.
red Thermapen

There are two kinds of countries in the world, those that use the metric system and the one that sent men to the moon and back.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2014, 10:55 PM   #13
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

That is the plan - I'll be doing the shoulders the day before ... just to take some pressure off. They do have a lot of sides that are being brought. It is for a good cause, raising money so the young women can go to girls camp.

I think we can make it work. I honestly am not sure what the turn out will be. In the past they've averaged around 100-125 people, then they were doing spaghetti dinners. For some reason, when word got out they had me cooking the response went way up. Guess they like my BBQ ... Either way, going to be a good learning experience.