MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #9016
BigKev
Got Wood.

The folks at APEX are very nice to work with and they understand what we are using the drums for. I think I paid a little bit more ($40) as I wanted a that straight sided drum for R2. Just tell them you want a "BBQ drum", and tell then open or closed head.

They took me back into the processing area and let me pick out the style of drum I wanted. Then I could pick out the lid (bungs or not), the type of clamp or not, and also if I wanted it painted or bare. Nice to have options. They even loaded it for me!

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #9017
Time_1
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
Just search for "reconditioned steel drums" or "drum recycler" in the Fresno area. If they are certified, then supposedly all the drums are run through a blast furnace to burn up an residue left on/in the drum and then media blasted to remove all the charred remains.

I was able to get my drum for my R2-BQ UDS project in the LA area from a drum certified recycler (Apex Drum) and got a bare drum off of their processing line before it went through paint. $40 is about the going price for them.

I know a place in Hayward, CA that has them, but there must be a place closer to Fresno. Keep the faith, the drums are out there.
Ive done some searching on the net using those terms. Only place that popped up.locally only sells wood barrels. Ill keep looking. I do have a friend that has a linex barrel for me that I'm gonna check out Friday.
Time_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2011, 12:53 AM   #9018
Kenn007BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
Just search for "reconditioned steel drums" or "drum recycler" in the Fresno area. If they are certified, then supposedly all the drums are run through a blast furnace to burn up an residue left on/in the drum and then media blasted to remove all the charred remains.

I was able to get my drum for my R2-BQ UDS project in the LA area from a drum certified recycler (Apex Drum) and got a bare drum off of their processing line before it went through paint. $40 is about the going price for them.

I know a place in Hayward, CA that has them, but there must be a place closer to Fresno. Keep the faith, the drums are out there.
I'm in $mokeland (0akland$ Ca....Hayward is nearby.... What is the name of that place for the drums? I found one drum($25) that is bare metal inside but the seller is not sure whether it's food grade or not

---
I am here: Google Maps

Old 12-17-2011, 01:01 AM   #9019
JuanMoore
Found some matches.

I read over half of this monstrous thread, and then built a UDS for myself using mostly materials I had on hand. Took it for its virgin run today, with a pork butt and some ABTs. Easily held 260-270F all day, and produced some amazingly delicious food. Here are some crappy cell phone pics-

Thanks to all of you who posted great ideas and inspirations in this thread. I used many of them in my build, and plan to use many more as I continue to upgrade it.
JuanMoore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2011, 05:44 AM   #9020
Hoosier1960
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Harold

Great job JaunMoore!
Weber Silver Gasser, UDS, Weber 18.5" Silver, Weber Redhead Stainless Performer, Blue Weber 22.5 Gold, 18.5" WSM, Mini UDS, Oklahoma Joe Bandera, Pit Boss Coppertop Vertical Pellet Smoker, Pit Boss Pro 1100, Thermopen so fast it has flames :-D
Hoosier1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #9021
Vulcanus
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier1960 View Post
@Vulcanus
I was just thinking of the working height. My 55 gal drum is around 39" tall and I have it on a barrel dolly which adds another 3 or 4". I am 6'2", and I would not want that section any higher. You have to decide what is best for yourself. I would just keep in mind what height you will need to load it at and also getting the "lid" section on and off.
Just some things to think about.
Hi Hoosier1960

Thank you for the advice

I have another question:
I would create a unique big lower air intake, but the intake tube must be put directly under the centre of the fire basket (not laterally).
I would create a simple air diffuser to prevent the ash clogging the air intake tube and also for better air distribution like a chimney cowl

also a cheap Ikea frying pan upside down like this

Do you have any advice, photos or anything else?

Thanks to all,
Have a nice day.
Vulcanus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2011, 10:45 AM   #9022
Lawdog's Smokewagon
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Time to paint

Well today I will be sanding the surface rust and paint remnants off the Smokewagon UDS. It shall get a nice coat of Crimson and White. A big red "A" on the front and a Crimson Tide Logo on the top. Will post completed PRON when done.

ROLL TIDE!!
Lawdog

Old 12-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #9023
Lawdog's Smokewagon
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

BTW I've finally read all 602 pages and 9021 posts. Man now thats Epic!

Old 12-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #9024
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Vulcan it's really best not to mess with what works. I understand it's human nature to tweak things but when someone usually does then comes the I don't understand why this doesn't work correctly. But then again if you don't mess with it you or we will never know what works and what doesn't. I usually advise all to make a simple k.i.s.s. UDS then experiment on another barrel to use as a guinea pig
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #9025
Hoosier1960
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Harold

@Vulcanus,
I agree with Skidder's thoughts. I am note sure what size intake you are thinking of, but remember on a UDS style smoker/cooker that the fire is controlled by the air intake. Bringing the air in from the sides has worked very well throughout this thread. The bottom of the charcoal basket being 2 1/2 to 3" off the floor takes care of ashing when the air comes in from the sides.
Weber Silver Gasser, UDS, Weber 18.5" Silver, Weber Redhead Stainless Performer, Blue Weber 22.5 Gold, 18.5" WSM, Mini UDS, Oklahoma Joe Bandera, Pit Boss Coppertop Vertical Pellet Smoker, Pit Boss Pro 1100, Thermopen so fast it has flames :-D
Hoosier1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #9026
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcanus View Post
I would create a unique big lower air intake, but the intake tube must be put directly under the centre of the fire basket (not laterally).
I would create a simple air diffuser to prevent the ash clogging the air intake tube and also for better air distribution like a chimney cowl
I personally think there's no difference where and the direction the intake air is coming from. I have seen UDS's like you described with intake beneath the fire basket. Different, but no benefit. I've modified my ECB in this manner.
Also an elevated ash pan attached to your charcoal basket will make cleanup a lot easier instead of attaching a cowl or barrier over the intake to keep ash away.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #9027
hankll
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
I personally think there's no difference where and the direction the intake air is coming from. I have seen UDS's like you described with intake beneath the fire basket. Different, but no benefit. I've modified my ECB in this manner.
Also an elevated ash pan attached to your charcoal basket will make cleanup a lot easier instead of attaching a cowl or barrier over the intake to keep ash away.
When I did the ash pan attached to bottom of the legs of my basket, and even though I drilled 1" holes all around the edge of the pan (a Weber portable grill) it prevented me from getting enough air flow to get the higher temps I wanted.

When I removed the ash pan, and just laid large piece of tin foil on the floor of the drum, it was good to go on high temps. I'll attempt a better pan design later, but for now, cold weather doesn't make me want to be out in the weather and low temps.
hankll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #9028
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankll View Post
When I did the ash pan attached to bottom of the legs of my basket, and even though I drilled 1" holes all around the edge of the pan (a Weber portable grill) it prevented me from getting enough air flow to get the higher temps I wanted.

When I removed the ash pan, and just laid large piece of tin foil on the floor of the drum, it was good to go on high temps. I'll attempt a better pan design later, but for now, cold weather doesn't make me want to be out in the weather and low temps.
Like they say, every UDS operates differently.
I made 2 charcoal baskets for my UDS, one with a shallow ash pan attached, and the other with no ash pan. My UDS behaves identically using either charcoal basket. Actually, the ash pan is so shallow it makes no difference whether it's there or not as far as interfering or restricting air flow to the basket. It shouldn't, in any way, anyway.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #9029
Skidder
Babbling Farker

But I bet that that ashpan makes for easier ash cleanup
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #9030
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
But I bet that that ashpan makes for easier ash cleanup
Most definitely, but on the other hand, scooping ash from the bottom of the drum is not too difficult or tedious, especially if you use low ash producing fuel it does not have to be done every time you use the UDS.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker