MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
CakeM1x
is One Chatty Farker

Default New to injecting, first things to try?

Just bought a spitjack magnum and curious what your favorite things to inject and what with? Want to give this baby a go this week.
CakeM1x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2015, 09:49 AM   #2
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

I only inject pork butt and turkey.
I don't inject much of anything else. I guess I did do a pork loin once, but haven't felt the need to do any since.

I use Chris Lilly's Pork injection for every single pork butt I cook at home as follows.....

3/4 C apple juice
1/2 C water
1/2 C white sugar
1/4 C Kosher salt
2 TBS worschestershire sauce
Makes enough for TWO butts.

Note: The original recipe calls for table salt, but I switched to Kosher (or any coarse salt) to reduce the amount of salt. Coarse salt weighs less by volume than table salt.

I do straight melted butter for turkeys.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:55 PM   #3
slackdogbbq
Full Fledged Farker

+1 on the Chris Lilly injection
slackdogbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
bbqwizard
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Phillip

+2 on Chris'

Check out the turkey injection Malcom reed has on youtube. It's awesome! Butter, chicken broth, seasoning, hot sauce- yum!
By His grace, for His glory!
bbqwizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2015, 07:27 PM   #5
K-Train
is One Chatty Farker

Make It Meaty for anything you want to inject.
WSM 22.5
GMG Davy Crockett
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2015, 07:37 PM   #6
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I used Chris Lilly's Injection but found it to be salty to my tastes, I cut back to almost half the amount of salt and it is still good but always lacked added flavor. last year I switched to OakRidge Game Changer Brine as my Injection and have nothing less than great results with it.

I now, always use OakRidge Game Changer Brine as an injection. I Use fruit juice (Peach, Pear, Apple, or White Grape) for added flavors. For every 8 ounces of juice add 1 Tablespoon of OakRidge Game Changer Brine and then inject into the pork or chicken. I inject right through the cyro-packaging to save with cleanup, using different angles through the same hole to prevent leaking. I used to rub and let the pork sit overnight, but now I'll rub a few hours before smoking depending upon my time constraints.

When cooking injected pork butts I find the bone begins to wiggle at about 187°, I pull and rest the pork in a cambro/cooler for 3 to 4 hours, and pull the pork just before serving. I find the OakRidge Game Changer Brine keeps the pork exceptionally tender, moist, very flavorful, and it pulls in very long strands which is great for sandwiches.

Chicken just melts in your mouth..
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->