• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Best dessert idea?

Non cheesecake stuff I have seen win are ice cream, pies, crumbles, and cobblers.

We have won with a strawberry pie, upside down cakes, a giant turtle like entry and cheesecake (of course). I do know some one who won with banana pudding and peanut butter pie.

I understand the cheesecake love and all, but when desserts are being judged by the same judges that just sat down to four mats of meat, I pick something that is light and refreshing but still has plenty of bang-bang, especially if the weather's hot.

At an INCREDIBLY hot show one time, we saw a tray of six beers embedded in crushed ice go into the tent, and heard a cheer go up inside! That entry didn't win, but you know it was much appreciated :becky:

I understand the cheesecake love and all, but when desserts are being judged by the same judges that just sat down to four mats of meat, I pick something that is light and refreshing but still has plenty of bang-bang, especially if the weather's hot.

At an INCREDIBLY hot show one time, we saw a tray of six beers embedded in crushed ice go into the tent, and heard a cheer go up inside! That entry didn't win, but you know it was much appreciated :becky:

Definitely a good point. Most of the time I see dessert judged on Friday night, but this year it has already been on Saturday twice. One time a team had like an orange sorbet with whip cream thing they let us try and extra of and it was awesome.

If dessert is judged after the meat categories, go for something sweet. One of the favorite desserts was a piping hot apple pie a team managed to fit in turn in box.

At Basswood a few weeks back, we did a Hamburger and fries basket made of cake. Got a perfect score. Looked awesome and tasted pretty good, too. We got the ultimate...a perfect 180. And we got third.

Behind a cheesecake.

Non-cheese cake entries usually have perfect 9's when garnished with 10-dollar bill doilies.

180 at Basswood!

At Basswood a few weeks back, we did a Hamburger and fries basket made of cake. Got a perfect score. Looked awesome and tasted pretty good, too. We got the ultimate...a perfect 180. And we got third.

Behind a cheesecake.

Greg Vincent,

Was the hamburger and fries dessert entry at Basswood, Platte County yours?

How neat is that!

I improperly snuck out and observed some of the dessert entries as they were submitted.

Please do not tell anyone other than the 40,000 + BBQ Brethren who are reading this.

I got to meet your wife, girlfriend, significant other at the turn-in table. It was some lady that I had never seen before.

I was one of the judges at Basswood, Platte County.

Your dessert entry crossed my table.

I gave this entry a 9 - 9 - 9!

The hamburger and fries desert entry was the absolute most creative desert entry that I have ever seen in my entire BBQ judging career!!!

Apparently all of the other judges at my table thought so as well, and also gave you a 9 - 9 - 9!

Your desert submission really did impress me and the other 5 judges!!!

Some of the judges at this event were real closed mouth and did not openly discuss their scores, even after our scores had been officially turned in. I really do not know what that is all about.

So, apparently you made it through the gauntlet with a perfect score!!!

Congratulations from and to a fellow Nortlhlander!

My only question is how the heck does a team get a perfect 180, and only end up with third place???

Did they give you a perfect 180 pin?

If not, you need to contact the KCBS home office and request one. They will send you one.

I do realize that according to the KCBS rules that a tie breaker is determined by an "electronic coin toss."

My position is that if x number of teams tie for first place in any event, they ALL deserve first place honors.

At Mission, Kansas last year, there was a 9 way tie for first place in the desert competition. They did describe all 9 entries as a "perfect, perfect" score. Unfortunately, the teams ended up being ranked from 1 to 9. That is just not right. All of those teams deserved a first place ranking!

If I can get the Parkville folks off of their a$$es and sponser a 2015 BBQ contest, I will virtually guarantee that any first place ties will receive appropriate first place honors!!! Even including checks!!!

That is only just, right, fair and proper!

Greg:

Have you talked to Steve from Glasgow yet?

He does have a cooking spot reserved for you.

Steve is stressing out!

Please get in touch with him.

Sincerely.

Ken
The Mustanger

Parkville, MO 64152

Last edited:
Back