Totally Disappointing Meal

Being disappointed going out for barbecue hurts more than any other food type for me. Steakhouses being a close second. But with barbecue, for every one new place I tried that was great, there were 2 or 3 that left me disappointed. Sometimes it's just about someone else doing the cooking, but when you fork over all that cash and it's not remotely as good as I can get at home, I do find myself questioning my decision making.

There is some awesome Q in Memphis.Not the tourist traps.Good idea to have a concealed carry permit if you visit most of them.Just sayin.Be sure you go with a group in daylight hours.Corky's,Central,Rendevous are NOT MEMPHIS Q.If you ever visit again,PM me and I will steer you to some awesome Q.

Had some awesome 'cue just across the river in a shady part of Memphis. It was a real highlight for me. Their other location out by the airport was basically a frozen roast reheated in a microwave ... :sick:

Yes, it was in a rough part of town so not a good place for the naive traveler. I ran into some of the nicest locals though standing in line at the take-out counter since the dining room was closed. The men I spoke with standing in line were right! It was really awesome! :thumb:

Bridges BBQ Lodge in Shelby ‘nuff said. In business like 70 years. Chopped shoulder and chicken only over hickory and oak only. No gloppy sweet sauce. You get a Dixie cup with thin “dip”. Red slaw and hush puppies. Highway 74 in Shelby.

Along with Cowgirls wisdom of checking out the back of the place, I suggest checking the health rating sign. Any place rated at better than a 'C', just keep walking.

If you're still in town I would try Midwood Smokehouse or The Smoke Pit just over in Concord, NC.
Neither are traditional "NC BBQ" places, but they have a good selection of beef/pork shoulder/chicken.

I won't say either are the best, but last I tried them they were both good. Been a while since I've been down that way though.

I've been doing the "Texas BBQ Tour" for quite a while. So far I haven't really been disappointed by any of the Top 50 joints in Texas. Texas Monthly does a great job of recommending quality places, IMO. Outside of Texas it's more of a crap shoot. I tend to not eat at BBQ places unless I've heard from a reliable source that they're really good (I don't trust just anyone's opinion). I can forgive mediocre Mexican food, or pizza or whatever, but I have a hard time overlooking bad BBQ.

I would question any NC BBQ joint that offers more protein than pork products. NC joint menus generally offer 3 items for a main. Barbecue plate, Barbecue sandwich, ribs.

Back