Ribs on the UDS...It's almost idiot proof (PRON)

HARRYSTOWN

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well bought the Hormel ,always tender,always chemical enhanced, franken ribs on the cheap. I thought they might have enough salt in them already so made some salt free rub.
4 Tbl Hungarian smoked paprika
4 Tbl Brown Sugar
2 Tbl Black Pepper
1 Tbl Mustard powder
1 Tbl Onion Powder
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
Smoked with a mix of Briquette and Hasty bake lump with a nice apple log and a hickory log. Sprayed once a hour with apple juice cider vinegar mix.
No foil. Smoked 5 hours then straight to table. With enough beer even Hormel tastes good....Needed a little salt.

003-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

They look great. Nice color. Beer and hunger makes a lot of stuff better :-D

The UDS is a rib cooking machine. Good looking ribs. What temp are you using? Mine are usually done in about four hours.

Great looking spares! Mine usually take about 4 hours as well, but I'm normally pushing 275° on the UDS.

Great lookin ribs!

You really should look at adding some MSG. I think you'll like the outcome.. :rolleyes:

Nice looking ribs! What did you use for the glaze?

good looking ribs!

i made ribs for the family last weekend on my drum. 3 hours flipped once, sprayed twice with apple juice and cider vinegar mix, foil for about 90 minutes. rock solid at 240F. my daughter who is not a big bbq fan said they were the best ribs she ever had.

yep, the UDS is just about idiot proof!

I use my UDS like a RONCO Roaster, "Set it and Forget it" for the most part. Open her up till temp is about 250*. She runs with 1 and a half vents open. I glazed them with Blues Hog , makes a real pretty shine. I glazed myself with Natural Light Beer. Cheap Ribs demand cheap beer.

One foot note. As we consumed the first rack, I did throw the second rack on a cookie sheet coverd in foil in a oven at 150*. Left them there for about 2 hours while I cooked some ABTs for a after dinner dessert. The second slab tasted better to me.
I copied Tropical Rick's ABT's peppers,Gouda and apples wrapped in bacon. I must have got the wrong peppers because usually Jalepenos are not that hot. Well these brought tears to me and my wife's eyes..The rest of the family had a good laugh and refused to try them. What kind of a pepper looks like a fat jalepeno but is about 50xs hotter??

What kind of a pepper looks like a fat jalepeno but is about 50xs hotter??

I'm guessing you just got into a really hot batch of jalapenos. They vary ALOT in heat. Also, the longer you cook them the less heat they have. If you are smoking them for a while on the smoker they mellow out nicely.

I second Grease Pig, there is not really another pepper I know of that looks like a jalapeno. I think most jalapenos you buy in the store are milder than they used to be. I grow them at home and they have more of a kick, if course, I underwater for stronger peppers.

You did boil them first...right?
That is, ahem..., the Brethren way.:twisted::eek::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Oh, yeah, we boil them in MSG-laced water!

They look great. Nice color. Beer and hunger makes a lot of stuff better :-D

Gentleman I knew once upon a time asked me what the best sauce in the world was. He said it made even the worst food taste like the best food you ever had.

The sauce was hunger.

Might have been some young Serrano peppers. They are similar to japalenos but tend to be much hotter (and darker green). They turn up cheap in the grocery stores down here so lots of folks use them diced up small to ease the effect.

Back