***Blackstone Pizza Oven Appreciation Thread***

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Since we've had a slew of new purchases of this fine cooker in the past few weeks, I thought it would be a great idea to start an official thread dedicated to it specifically.

This is a place to ask questions from BS oven veterans, to discuss whatever suits your fancy, and of course, a place to post recent pies(and other things, too) you've cooked.

So let's get started!

:thumb:

Thanks Moose, got my oven during the Amazon sale. It came this week but I haven't had time to build. I'll be following and contributing to this thread for sure! No pron like pizza pron!

Moose ive beeen tempted by the pizza oven, unfortunately i missed the recent sale

I started a general blackstone thread awhile back but i seems to be the defacto griddle thread instead. Still there is some stuff about the pizza oven too (i think from you lol)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215789

Thanks, Ninja, very familiar with that one. This is why I started a dedicated pizza oven thread. :thumb:

Thanks Moose

My prime 2 day shipping came in only 5 days. Been pretty busy but did put it together last night and did a quick burn off.

I would bet that MSD has some pies going probably before I get home.

I did wonder if there is any issue with warping the turntable if you don't have it turning with the flame on?

I did wonder if there is any issue with warping the turntable if you don't have it turning with the flame on?

You bring up a good point - just to be on the safe side, I always make sure the platter is spinning when I fire it up, and once I'm done and shut down the propane, keep the platter spinning for about 10 mins so that the stone and platter are evenly exposed to the hot element. While it's probably not a necessity, it may save a bit or wear and tear...

What Moose said Paul. The turntable is heavy enough gauge to prevent warping. My main concern are the stones so I don't expose them to extreme heat when first starting the oven to avoid thermal shock. I gradually warm it up especially in colder weather with the motor running the whole time.

You bring up a good point - just to be on the safe side, I always make sure the platter is spinning when I fire it up, and once I'm done and shut down the propane, keep the platter spinning for about 10 mins so that the stone and platter are evenly exposed to the hot element. While it's probably not a necessity, it may save a bit or wear and tear...

That is what I did for concern of both the turntable and stone.

I was surprised there was no discussion in the instructions?

That is what I did for concern of both the turntable and stone.

I was surprised there was no discussion in the instructions?

The instructions were lacking any mention of that, in addition to the fact that the ignitor requires one AA battery...at least the ones that came with mine in a couple years back. So don't forget that farking battery, folks!

Has anyone upgraded from a KettlePizza (or generic kit) to the BS Pizza oven?
What are your thoughts/ comparisons? I've had my eye on the BS oven, but afraid of losing that wood fire taste to the pie.

Has anyone upgraded from a KettlePizza (or generic kit) to the BS Pizza oven?
What are your thoughts/ comparisons? I've had my eye on the BS oven, but afraid of losing that wood fire taste to the pie.

While not a KettlePizza, I always cooked pizza on the kamado with fantastic results. I too was concerned about losing that wood fire taste. I got my Blackstone assembled last night and have cooked two pies with very different results. The first I had the oven way too hot and tossed it on at 800 degrees lol. It was burnt in 30 seconds.

The second I turned down to around 400 degrees and it was markedly better, but took almost 5 minutes to cook. The crust was nice and crisp, but apparently the propane wasn't being delivered effectively because when I turned it off and back on, it was totally different. As such, my top wasn't quite as thoroughly cooked as I would have liked.

I'm going to cook another tomorrow so hopefully the third time I get it right as I'd like to have some sort of reference to compare it to the kamado. I'll update the thread with my results.

This is gonna be cool but maybe you could have called it Moose and Sakos pizza showcase :p

I keep waiting to appreciate, but there are no pics?!?!?!

For pete sake somebody post a pizza pic already

This will have to do for now, a pepperoni, tomato, and basil pie I did last month:

5%204%202017%20Full%20PIe_zpsemv7hpba.jpg

Sliced and plated:

IMG_3181_zpsk4n9etzd.jpg

Back