Rome weekend

OferL

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
The wife wanted a romantic weekend. Where better than Rome? We've been to Italy 22 years ago for a road trip and spent some days in Rome. So we weren't going to go again to the usual sites: Vatican, Colosseum, Roman Forum, tens of museums etc.
We were going to just roam around, find good food, nice places to see and do some shopping.
Well that was the plan. My wife can't just do that. She had to have some things planned. So we had a culinary tour - a lot of fun and good food - a Ferrari simulator - even more fun - a night visit to the Colosseum - very nice - Leonardo De Vinci museum - amazing - a trip to an outlet mall - ehhh.... - and a lot of walking. So much walking....

ezhmiZOh.jpg

RXPdYYwh.jpg

I7SNUTLh.jpg

oEXitcAh.jpg

97EAAl6h.jpg

Nbz7UJ3h.jpg

rl3njRGh.jpg

dfp9g6Eh.jpg

The city Hasn't changed much as far as I remember. It was cleaner and there was a lot more security. Groups of armed soldiers were stationed on all major tourist hubs. November weather was perfect, sunny and chill. Not that many tourists after summer and before Christmas. Churches and cathedrals are everywhere and even the small ones are amazing to see.

yVkE5SIh.jpg

NNw9U3Vh.jpg

OTqTBRJh.jpg

BrcWFgwh.jpg

iz4dC5Fh.jpg

A toy store where this older gentleman carves wooden toys.

v52DsKIh.jpg

ny1E287h.jpg

6IVuYPoh.jpg

Food:
Roman food is goooood!
Pasta and pizza come in all forms and they're made in some places by traditional Roman recipes. Different from what we're used to. For instance pasta carbonara is made without cream or butter. Instead the pasta is made creamy with a mix of pecorino cheese, water and pepper (Cacio e pepe) then added ham, bacon and a raw egg.

sBGRXMeh.jpg

Pizza also come with a local twist. Hot or cold. 400C or 270C. Toppings of all kinds. Of course there are tourist traps, but you can spot them with the same rules that apply everywhere in the world. Seafood was very good. I tried steak at two places. One was average but a ribeye in reduced balsamic was amazing.

3rnnEaoh.jpg

Local sweets... wow. Chocolate, gelato, tiramisu, cannoli... :clap2:

IVYDUkFh.jpg

F3V95Xah.jpg

oRmrbQZh.jpg

Food markets are also a lot of fun. You find some good food and drink while moving.

ov70Scih.jpg

Z7022HLh.jpg

It was a really nice vacation. Highly recommended!

hBoFNhgh.jpg

Wow, absolutely beautiful. I flew through Rome last May, but never made it into town, stupid work trip. It's been 11 years and your pictures so make me want to return! Maybe next year with my wife. So glad you were able to go and share the trip with us!

Wow, absolutely beautiful. I flew through Rome last May, but never made it into town, stupid work trip. It's been 11 years and your pictures so make me want to return! Maybe next year with my wife. So glad you were able to go and share the trip with us!

Thank Gore. As I wrote It was 22 years for us. Back then we landed in Milan and drove a rented car all over the north of Italy, lakes, Venice. Then towards the center to Toscany where we stayed for a week. Then Three last days in Rome. Three weeks total. I don't know how we made it without gps and only with printed maps... This was just before we had kids and it was a magical trip. Going now was a little like reliving those few last days of our trip.

We booked two tours in Rome. One was a food tour with an Israeli guide. It was gteat.
The second and probably more relevant for you was through Tickets: Colosseum Underground By Night: VIP Experience.
A very interesting and uniqe experience.

I'm not sure how I missed this thread!
Looks amazing!! Thanks so much for sharing your pics Ofer!
Looks like an incredible trip! :grin:

I'm not sure how I missed this thread!
Looks amazing!! Thanks so much for sharing your pics Ofer!
Looks like an incredible trip! :grin:

Thanks Jeanie, I'm glad you liked it.

Thanks for the updated picture dump. I swear I've seen that very same butcher shop in 15 cities in southern Europe. I think they all have the same butcher too!

I've seen him too. It's the same guy. Im sure.

Back