MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Meat Prices

Looks like Friday's Cattle on Feed report won't help meat prices get any cheaper. We're down 11% on the number of cattle being fed out there right now and that means there will be less meat coming to market.

So if you like brisket, you're going to be paying more...unfortunately.

http://beefproducer.com/blogs-august...ecord-low-7646

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Ugh!
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Oh well. Brisket's worth it. Chuck Roasts and I have been getting further and further apart though. Less steak as well, although if it's a good sale on good quality, I still cave for it.

I'm just wondering what's going to happen to pork prices with this crazy air traveling plague situation going. Here's hoping eating insects becomes more mainstream in the U.S.!

Old 09-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Smokeat
is one Smokin' Farker

Right when I just discovered $2.69 USDA Prime grade CAB briskets at Costco! Damn the luck!
Smokeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Diesel Dave

The prices will remain high for a while. Last years corn prices, the highest ever, caused feed lots to cut their inventory because feed was so high.
This years corn prices are down, but I think they'll be up soon. Not at last years level, but higher. We're doing ok in the feeder market as the prices are higher as feed lots are trying to restock their numbers.

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
landarc

Well, yes, as the owner of a Feeding business you are doing okay, although the past few years, I bet it has been rough. As I see it, the climate has not been nice to a lot of areas that rely on things like, rain for instance, and that has affected stocks. Not much to do, but, grin and bear it, and maybe eat even less beef.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
Diesel Dave

Thanks Landarc, we've been lucky weather wise.
Our business is producing calves and raising them to #600 or so and then selling to some one else to finish. But in the past couple years we've had to thin out our herd because of feed costs.
And please, eat more beef!!!!

I need a raise

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe

Old 09-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

Interesting info

Old 09-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #9
IamMadMan

I guess we're going to have to dig deeper into our pockets when we go to the store..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
FreebirdTPark
Found some matches.

Makes me want to cry. Paying over $6.00 lb now in Ohio.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:24 AM   #11
Diesel Dave

Quote:
Makes me want to cry
Me too, I raise cattle and still have to buy beef. When we butcher we split it between the family so we each get a 1/4. It's my brothers and I and mom and dad so it's just the processing cost, so not really paying for the cost of raising it. Not that much of the better cuts, a lot of burger. But we can do a lot with burger so it's not all that bad.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #12
dbq
Full Fledged Farker

My last steak was about 18 months ago. Can barely afford chicken and pork.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #13
Charcoal_Addict
On the road to being a farker

A lot us may not be eating as much fish anyways. Here's some more Brethren fish recipes in 2014.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #14
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

i just loaded out a trailer headed for the stock yard today. the booker at the stock yard says that in about 40 days the beef prices (on hoof) are really supposed to shoot up.

my numbers have been down the last few years due to the cost of calves ( we buy light calves and feed them up to about 1200 lbs) the cost of the feed, as well as the effects of a drought that have left our pastures and hay supplies pretty short.

IMO this high priced beef is only going to push up the cheaper protein markets as people look for cheaper cuts of meat to feed their inner carnivore cravings.

its going to get much worse before it gets better as well.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #15
Fake Farmer
On the road to being a farker

Thanks for all the info and insight. We obviously have a lot of Brethren with intimate knowledge on here. Thanks for sharing.
Fake Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote