MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #16
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Did it still have the skin on?
Yes.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #17
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
Yes.

That can make a difference in cure time because you are basically curing from one side only instead of from two.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #18
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
That can make a difference in cure time because you are basically curing from one side only instead of from two.
Then use injection as well. This helps this issue.
John

Old 01-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #19
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHB View Post
I believe it it time we all modernise our brining techniques and use the "Equilibrium Method". By doing this one knows exactly when the required amount of salt has been absorbed into the meat. It stops all guesswork. I provide a brief description (not mine) of how you creat an Equilibrium Brine:

Creating an Equilibrium Brine

Weigh water and food together, subtracting any bone weight, since salt will not diffuse into bones.

Multiply the combined weight of the water and meat by the desired finished salinty you want your protein to contain at the end of the brining process (usually .5-1% by weight).

Dissolve the appropriate amount of salt into the water and place food in the brine.

Use a salinity meter to take readings throughout the brining process. When the brine’s salinity drops to the desired finished salt percentage, you can conclude that your brine and food have reached a state of equilibrium and the bringing process is complete.

I hope this helps and gets others thinking/discussing.
John
I've read a little about gradient and equilibrium brining, and do think the process (and the calculations), as well as the scientific approach is a step forward from traditional (1 cup of water to 1 gallon of water) brining..... that said, I was a traditional brine guy for many, many years and for the last several years I have been been experimenting with "Lite Brine" recipes and using them in a combination of immersion and injecting. The combination reduces some of the dependency of osmosis, and can shorten brine time. I still allow time for equalizing to allow everything to diffuse on their own and think this step is very important.

I do prefer dry curing over a wet sweet pickle (sweet brine) on my belly and Buckboard bacon, and also on my fish. However I make lox using both a dry and wet cure. I do a salt cure (my grandma called it koshering) on chicken and sometimes on chops, but also like to inject a brine in them as well.

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #20
MStoney72
Full Fledged Farker

Thank you all for the excellent info, I've decided to wait until next weekend.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
1971 22 1/2 Weber Bar b Que kettle
Weber genesis silver c (gasser)
Weber Q
Mini WSM (gold)
Fastest of the fast Thermapen's (digital camo with U. S. A flag)
MStoney72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #21
DanMcG
Found some matches.

When I make a brine to cure meat I use nitrite. are we all talking the same thing?
DanMcG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #22
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMcG View Post
When I make a brine to cure meat I use nitrite. are we all talking the same thing?
A wet cure, a pickle, (or sweet pickle if sugar is added), or brine all have salt as a basic ingredient..... and I think they are just interchangeable terms.... like smoking and barbecuing are.

Brines can be flavor brines or curing brines. Flavor brines can vary in amount of salt, seasonings and aromatics, and might only be used to make things retain moisture.....and might be used for very short times, like 5 minutes when brining shrimp. Curing brines have the addition of nitrites and sometimes nitrates, and can be different concentrations. A lighter curing brine might only be used to produce a pleasing color and tighten up the texture of meats, like on Buckboard bacon or city ham. A stronger or hard curing brine is used when preservation is a consideration, like a country ham or some varieties of bacon.

For example, when corning beef, you are curing it. It can be corned in a liquid solution, which might be called a brine or maybe a pickle. It can be pumped, which means injected, with the same liquid it is immersed in....or corned beef can be dry cured.

Some folks use the term dry brining to mean dry curing. Dry cures have salt but not always nitrites or nitrates. Most meats that are dry cured are smoked (or cooked) afterwards (ham, bacon, etc.). Some things are not cooked.... like lox, dry cured salami, some Italian style deli meats and maybe a duck breast. Lox is cured with only salt. Your salami and Italian meats will use a different combination of nitrites and nitrates as they take a long time to cure.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #23
MStoney72
Full Fledged Farker

Thank you all for the overwhelming knowledge, there is know way I would ever tried this without you;). I ended up buying a foodsaver today, so I am ready

Weber Q
Mini WSM (gold)

Old 01-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #24
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I think that I'd be careful about injecting a belly with a cure/brine. The excessive fat content in it could likely turn mushy. I've done both wet and dry cure for belly when making bacon and really prefer the dry cure approach.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 04:23 AM   #25
LM600
Full Fledged Farker

I guess it's subjective and down to personal preferance, but, I prefer to dry cure using "Supracure" it's a ready mixed salt / sodium nitrite cure.
LM600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #26
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
I think that I'd be careful about injecting a belly with a cure/brine. The excessive fat content in it could likely turn mushy. I've done both wet and dry cure for belly when making bacon and really prefer the dry cure approach.
Careful (or controlled) injecting is good advice for the home charcuterist, yet injecting bellies is very successful.... the majority of the producers do it. If they didn't shorten the cure time by injecting and immersing the bellies, bacon would be $20 a pound. Of course they have a few other chemicals and special flavorings in their bag of tricks too.

Personally I'm with you, I like dry cured bacon.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #27
DanMcG
Found some matches.

I dry cure Bellies, but inject and immerse loins and small hams, all to 150 ppm nitrite
normally.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #28
MStoney72
Full Fledged Farker

Well, BACON is done with its cure and has been thoroughly rinsed and soaked in water and is back in the fridge uncovered so it can develop its felicle. First off, I want to thank everybody for all of their help in this project, there is absolutely no way that I would have ever attempted this project without the knowledge that you have provided me in all of my cooking endeavors. I have a maple cured and peppered version in these batches and with all three bellies I have a gross weigh of 34.9 lbs of Bacon to be smoked as soon as I get home from work tomorrow. Here are some pictures I have taken along this journey, with obviously more to come;)

This is the 3 bellies still frozen together after I took them out of the package. Note; the cup is a 16oz. cup, lol

Another view

Here is my daughter being funny

This is the cured rinsed and soaked bacon in rib racks developing their felicle until tomorrow morning sometime

Thank you for looking:)

Weber Q
Mini WSM (gold)

Old 02-03-2013, 04:56 AM   #29
DanMcG
Found some matches.

So How did they come out MStoney?

Old 02-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #30
MStoney72
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMcG View Post
So How did they come out MStoney?
I never saw your post, but just wanted to answer you question. Bacon came out great!

Weber Q
Mini WSM (gold)