The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:27 PM   #16
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

We've learned to pull the brisket sooner than most (usually anything above 180 works) because it continues cooking in the dry cooler. Typically we have 2 briskets and 4 butts triple wrapped in foil resting in a cooler for up to 6 hours before slicing and all of that heat keeps cooking the meat. Before we made that adjustment, our briskets were consistently dry after slicing. Also, consider using a Fab B injection. The phosphates seem to hold moisture after slicing.

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2007, 11:52 PM   #17
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
  • Turn up the heat. Try Cooking at 275-300
  • Put the fat cap between your brisket and the heat. For a stickburner that probably means fat down.
  • Wrap it in foil with a cup of flavorful liquid after ~165* internal or good bark has formed
  • Pull it at 188*
  • Rest in a cambro for 4 hours, wrapped in foil, fat cap up
I think 188* may be a little high. I like to pull mine at 187*, dontcha know!
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2007, 02:45 AM   #18
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
  • Put the fat cap between your brisket and the heat. For a stickburner that probably means fat down.
  • Wrap it in foil with a cup of flavorful liquid after ~165* internal or good bark has formed
  • Pull it at 188*
Oh, how I do love my Cambro! One of the best investments I have ever made. The next Que toy I will save my schekels for is one of those vacuum marinators.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2007, 08:06 AM   #19
The Giggler
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the suggestions. We do inject with Fab B. I saw a post about an alternative product comparable to Fab B being marketed by a Brethren, and can't seem to locate it now. Any info available is appreciated.

I will be cooking one this weekend, and will pull @ 185, triple wrap, n' rest. Fat cap down, injected, and rubbed. For finishing, we're going to try a couple different concoctions. I'll report how it turns out, and if I can figure it out - post some pictures.

We've got 4 more weeks of trial and error. Its a good thing we like brisket. Thanks again for all the responses.

Mike.
The Giggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2007, 09:19 AM   #20
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Giggler View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. We do inject with Fab B. I saw a post about an alternative product comparable to Fab B being marketed by a Brethren, and can't seem to locate it now. Any info available is appreciated.

Try Le Gout Au Jus mix.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2007, 06:30 PM   #21
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Anyone have any suggestions on competition brisket? We're just not happy with what we've had for turn ins. Time to experiment, maybe even get radical.

If anyone has anything they would be willing to share, we sure would appreciate it. Its three long years since we got a call in brisket.

Sincerely,

Mike
Giggling Pigs BBQ Co
Maybe it's time to look back at what you used to do, what did you change to not get the calls, and rethink, "Am I still doing as good as I did?"

Sometimes it's best to stay with the basics and not try to go with so many different changes too fast.... I did, and went back to what I was doing and then made one small change at a time until I found what I wanted... And remember, if you get a fantastic one, and you do the exact same thing to another one, they may not come out the same.... brisket is stubborn...

Bill
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2007, 01:11 PM   #22
Thawley
Take a breath!

Quote:
  • Pull it at 188*
So... Just how far is it safe to go just to get some good bark? I never seem to get any bark near the 165* mark. Maybe I'm cookin' too low (300* initial/225* after the first hour or two...)
Thawley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2007, 09:48 PM   #23
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Inject it with bacon drippings!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2007, 07:43 AM   #24
The Giggler
is one Smokin' Farker

Got the brisket trimmed, seasoned, and on the cooker @ 7:30. Fat cap down. Will foil wrap with liquid @ 165. Pull to rest @ 185. Will post the results. Appreciate everyone's input.

Competitive Cook-Contest Organizer-Promoter of Smoke and Fire

Boston Hills BBQ Fest
www.bostonhillsbbqfest.com

PROUD to support Great Lakes BBQ Supply - www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com

Old 09-02-2007, 08:44 AM   #25
pigmaker23
is One Chatty Farker

Mike, you going to Oinktoberfest ?
[B][COLOR=#008000]Mr. Bobo's Traveling BBQ Allstars ![/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=red][I]2009 Jack Daniels World BBQ BrisketChampion[/I][/COLOR][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=#ff0000]_______________________________________[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black]Backwoods Fatboy (2) & a Chubby[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I]Jedmaster " BabyJed" Ring of Fire[/I][/B]
[B][I]OK Joe 84" Offset [/I][/B]
[B][I]Meadowcreek PR -72 Trailer[/I][/B]
pigmaker23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2007, 04:37 PM   #26
The Giggler
is one Smokin' Farker

Eric - Yup, we're going. Wouldn't miss it as it is currently the closest one to home. Looking forward to seeing you and Ray. This year will be a little different - NO VENDING (WHOO WHO!)

Here's the result:

Got fire in the pit @ 7AM. Skipped the Fab B injection (expensive, and have enough left for OINK, and Ohio Smoked Meat Fest if Steve calls me back....) Used Dave Klose's Championship Brisket Rub. 7:30 AM meat on fat side down @ 225 (never flipped it). Left it til 10:30, then basted with veggie oil mixed with rub. Continued to baste every hour until it hit 165. Separated point from flat, wrapped in triple foil with flavorful liquid (Lipton Onion Soup Mix). Put point back on w/o foil, flat in foil, till the flat hit 188. Stored in hot box for two hours. Scraped onions off meat, and sliced @ b/t 3/16-1/4". Did not sauce, and served.

We had a small party and bonfire. Most everyone is used to sampling, and knows to pull the slice apart to check tenderness. Overall, I felt like the meat was cooked well, had excellent flavor, and was not dry at all. A fellow Pig, thought his piece was a little on the dry side (appreciated his honesty). The feedback was pretty positive, and I couldn't believe that it wasn't a piece of shoe leather with the fat cap down.

Kept the crown/point for lunch this week - it was good too.

We're going to try another one this weekend, and vary the rub and flavorful liquid. Thanks again for all the input. The judges will have their say @ Oinktoberfest.

Competitive Cook-Contest Organizer-Promoter of Smoke and Fire

Boston Hills BBQ Fest
www.bostonhillsbbqfest.com

PROUD to support Great Lakes BBQ Supply - www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com

Old 09-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #27
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

I will be cooking one this weekend, and will pull @ 185, triple wrap, n' rest. Fat cap down, injected, and rubbed. For finishing, we're going to try a couple different concoctions. I'll report how it turns out, and if I can figure it out - post some pictures.

We've got 4 more weeks of trial and error. Its a good thing we like brisket. Thanks again for all the responses.

Mike.
I don't know if he is a Brethren, but David with Butcher BBQ has a similar product which is doing very well. Merl took 1st in Brisket in his second contest using it. Others have done well with it too.

His number 405dash205dash3270

BTW, I cook on the same pit as you. Fat side down is for sure the way to go.
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2007, 06:12 PM   #28
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
The problem I have is that even following the recipe to the T - the cookers are different, and the stick burner keeps turning out a bone dry result (from which I can deduct that its a dryer environment)..
ok boss...

Sorry, but thew old addage "its the COOK not the COOKER" floats both ways.

Stick burners dont dry out briskets. I got 6 top 3 calls in the last 8 contests(not including my DQ for being late). Some were cooked in my BYC, others in WSMs.

Tell us how u cookem, do u foil? what temp, or feel do u pull them? Whatcha doing?

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2007, 07:08 PM   #29
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

I still believe FAB B dries a brisket out more than it helps it.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #30
clubjoe
On the road to being a farker

I really don't like the flavor the Fab B gives the meat either.
Lang 60
Ole Hickory CTO
UDS twin pipe
[URL="http://www.rbuttsrsmokin.com"]www.rbuttsrsmokin.com[/URL]
clubjoe is offline   Reply With Quote