WallyMart Selects briskets.......

My question is is why you are buying wal-mart briskets when you have an HEB right there?!

But seriously those look great. I try to only smoke Costco Prime for regular eating, and do the grocery store select or choice for my brisket chili. Now I may have to try one out just to see what happens :biggrin1:

I've tried Wal Mart's select briskets a few times, but they never turn out quite right. The flat always ends up dry and chewy. I've tried internal temps from 185 to 203 and everything in between, but the result was the same. The last one I did still wasn't probe tender at 203 after 14+ hours at around 230 - 250. I thought about leaving it on, but went ahead and pulled it. I'm glad I did, as it was quite dry. If I had left in on longer it probably wouldn't have been fit to eat.

I'm using a COS with a water pan, starting the fire with charcoal and then mainly using sticks once the fire gets going. It's a pain to keep temps steady, but I usually manage to keep it mostly between 225 and 260. I've used it to cook choice briskets from other vendors, and they turned out fantastic. So I'm blaming the cheap selects instead of the cook. ;)

Probably not done yet. As PatAttack said, keep going until probe tender in the thickest part of the flat. The internal temp of the brisket and the amount of time taken to get there will vary as to when that point is reached. As others have pointed out before: undercooked = tough and dry, overcooked = crumbly and dry.

My question is is why you are buying wal-mart briskets when you have an HEB right there?! :biggrin1:

i agree. HEB keeps the prime briskets and beef plate ribs in the back. you just have to ask for them.

i agree. HEB keeps the prime briskets and beef plate ribs in the back. you just have to ask for them.

The HEB in the town SJ is in just happens the closest one to me. It’s 45 minutes, so we don’t make it often. Which stinks because I LOVE HEB.

Got One thawing for Tomorrow.......

UUIq3bxh.jpg

I saw a couple well marled briskets at Walmart today. No way they were selects. You cooking tomorrow in this weather?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I saw a couple well marled briskets at Walmart today. No way they were selects. You cooking tomorrow in this weather?

Oh Ya....in the Craigslist POS Smitty Insulated Charcoal Smoker........:twitch:

Well it Was a lil Icy Early so I Slept in - I just tossed on me Select brisket at 10:30....should be done 4:30-5:30 then Rest a Bit. Had a Large Hard Fat plug between the point n Flat - I cut those out. Went Back in Time with the Rub.

7n2waQKh.jpg

2s1bGBph.jpg

0YNmJazh.jpg

lHFDUgQh.jpg

And people think I use too much rub. :shock: you are gonna like the flavor.

12* with subzero WC. Green chile enchiladas

Last edited:
Butt Update???

Pulled at 4:30 - 6 hrs even....in a warm oven for Rest while my beans catch some Smoke. 1 can Ranch Style Beans, 1 can Busch's HomeStyle Beans, Dehydrated Chopped Onions, Store bought Bacon Bits n Stubbs BBQ Sauce n a lil water.

ayFG9p6h.jpg

mqs1cxih.jpg

Last edited:
Ran Weber brand Charcoal Briquettes and Mesquite n Hickory Chunk mix. This Weber charcoal puts out as much Ash as KBB it seems. I was out of chunks when the Beans went on so I tossed in some Pecan Bark pieces........

Last edited:
Back