Food freezer life

thillin

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I sometimes stock up on meat when it's on sale. There's an article at AOL, provided by Consumer Reports, that suggest that frozen sausage and bacon only retain their quality for a month or 2. What do you guys think?

I'm not a food safety expert, but I would think it depends on how it's packaged. I would think vacuum sealed would keep longer that just zip lock bag or foil.

Pig Headed said:
I'm not a food safety expert, but I would think it depends on how it's packaged. I would think vacuum sealed would keep longer that just zip lock bag or foil.

I freeze in the factory wrapping.

According to everything I've read, there is no safety issue when freezing- only deterioration of the product. The lower temp the freezer is also prolongs quality. I always vacuum seal any meat not in cryo.

thillin said:
I sometimes stock up on meat when it's on sale. There's an article at AOL, provided by Consumer Reports, that suggest that frozen sausage and bacon only retain their quality for a month or 2. What do you guys think?

I've kept bacon and sausage for 4-5 months in the freezer with no problems at all but, it needs to be a deep freeze, not the one on top of your fridge.

If properly packaged the FDA claims that Bacon and Sausage can be kept frozen and safe indefinetely. The quality of the Bacon and Sausage can change after two months. I however, have heard that factory sealed frozen Bacon can go Rancid in the freezer after only one week.

I would vacuum seal what ever isnt cryovaced. My personal view after looking at all my meat that i stick in the freezer in the plastic container with the saran wrap on top. is that they get freezer burnt alot easier than cryvaced meat. Ive had some funky texture chops after being in the freezer for a couple of months. Cant wait till christmas. get my vacuseal system.

Sawdustguy said:
If properly packaged the FDA claims that Bacon and Sausage can be kept frozen and safe indefinetely. The quality of the Bacon and Sausage can change after two months. I however, have heard that factory sealed frozen Bacon can go Rancid in the freezer after only one week.

How can something go bad when frozen? If something is frozen the decomposing stops, plus bacon is usually cured. As an ex-butchers apprentice, I was taught two things. Meat is not bad just because it is not bright red (but if it smells even a little, throw it out) AND, if wrapped right it will last forever in the freezer. BUT, you do lose some quality if you freeze any meat, but it is always still edible. My 2 cents.

tjus77 said:
How can something go bad when frozen? If something is frozen the decomposing stops, plus bacon is usually cured. As an ex-butchers apprentice, I was taught two things. Meat is not bad just because it is not bright red (but if it smells even a little, throw it out) AND, if wrapped right it will last forever in the freezer. BUT, you do lose some quality if you freeze any meat, but it is always still edible. My 2 cents.
not stoppped slowed:shock:

Back