MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #226
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
Straight, simple answers.

Candy Sue serves the KCBS membership well my friends.

unfortunately simple answers didnt really get to the point of confirming that the scores are accurate only that they are consistent. You know that there is a big difference and running the data through the same system in no way confirms accuracy.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #227
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

I've read all Candy's responses to mean there was a human error in the process and she can't say that because it is a "personnel" issue.
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #228
Balls Casten
is One Chatty Farker

Anyone know how a 29.1544 is possible with the new weighted scores?

Old 07-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #229
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Casten View Post
Just got it to work...7,8,6

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #230
PeppermonkeyBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
I can't imaging KCBS moving that fast on anything (except maybe a penis apron)
I've been reading 14 pages of this thread and finally laughed ... Thanks!

XL Big Green Egg
(2) Large Big Green Eggs
(2) Small Big Green Eggs
Medium Big Green Egg
Mini Big Green Egg
Onyx Oven
PeppermonkeyBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #231
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Casten View Post
That score can be calculated using 7-8-6

7 x 0.5600 = 3.9200
8 x 2.2972 = 18.3776
6 x 1.1428 = 6.8568

Total = 29.1544
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #232
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPhan View Post
My point is that running the same data through the software is no way to confirm that the scores are actually correct, just that the system will act in the same manner consistently.

I am guessing that someone actually did the math by hand to confirm that the results from KCBScore are accurate, but you saying that KCBScore spits out the same results is VERY different than saying that it spits out the CORRECT scores.

So can you also confirm that the scores coming out of KCBScore are accurate and that has been verified by several different sources. Not just running the contest data back through KCBScore. Again, running the contest data through KCBScore multiple times DOES NOT confirm that the scores are accurate, only that KCBScore acts consistently. Which is a good thing and important, but it does not confirm the accuracy.

Also providing the method used to confirm the results were accurate would be great.

thanks
I know you aren't asking me but listening to the bod meeting, I heard that contests were ran through both BQWin and KCBSScore for testing its accuracy.

The bod decided at another time to release the new weighting scale when score was released. This kind of muddy's the water releasing these two changes at the same time considering how big of a change KCBSScore is but "it is what it is".

Old 07-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #233
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
I know you aren't asking me but listening to the bod meeting, I heard that contests were ran through both BQWin and KCBSScore for testing its accuracy.

The bod decided at another time to release the new weighting scale when score was released. This kind of muddy's the water releasing these two changes at the same time considering how big of a change KCBSScore is but "it is what it is".
With weighting changes, results won't be exact between the old software and the new software scoring the same data. They can't be exact, there's a different multiplier on Appearance and Tenderness. There was beta testing with BQwin and KCBScore with the weighting being identical and the results were identical. KCBScore works the way it is supposed to work. Can we move on now? Maybe comment cards???
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #234
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sue View Post
Can we move on now? Maybe comment cards???
I'd love to see the Comment Cards back for judges to use. I think that Don Harwell had a good idea to tear off the "new" number after re-writing the team number then staple it to the scorecard. Seems pretty simple to me. Now some will say that it only works for small contests as there would be too many teams and cards at larger contests, but aren't there more REPS at larger contests? Seems pretty equivalent to me.

If I give a team a 6 or below, I would expect the team to want to know WHY. Without comment cards they will never know.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #235
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Candy, I think the accuracy of the scoring program is an issue of serious interest to all competitors and it seems that the discussion of any problems the program may have have hardly been beaten down in this or any other thread. We all want to have complete confidence in the program and you answering questions here goes a long way towards assuring that.

This program represents one of the biggest changes that Teams, Judges and Reps have experienced due to the wonderful sharing of information that it provides to us all. I truly hope that the information that is now being documented and distributed will lead the way for improvements wherever they can be made.
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #236
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

My scores were some of the ones in question and i feel confident that it was not an issue with the new system.

The human element has always been a source of potential errors and KCBScore now gives us more data to compare. In this case the additional data helped point out some scoring discrepancies. A valuable discussion might be how to minimize or QC the data entry points to remove as much of the human element as possible. A judges score going directly into the system might be one way to reduce errors. Obviously KCBS can't supply 50+ iPads to each competition but a bring your own device setup could have potential. Double entry of scores could also reduce error (and push back awards).

Any other ideas?

Old 07-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #237
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Vince, you obviously want to see the technical details of the new software and its testing methodology in a very granular fashion. I would not expect the KCBS BoD President to be versed in such - I suggest you direct your inquiry to the Technology Committee that has dealt with the software and its developers since inception.

I'm sure a simple phone call to the KCBS office will get you the contact information you need, and you can report back what you learn here.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #238
LindaM
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sue View Post
Big concern is the bunching of the same teams' entries to different tables. Table captains make sure they haven't seen an entry before, but right now, there's no way to keep the same team entries from hitting the same tray going to a different table. Larger the contest, the less it's likely for this to happen. It is worrisome at smaller events though.
That's what table captain sheets are for. But then there are some contests that don't bother to use them. Consistency is the key. If everyone uses them, the chances are far less to seeing duplicates to a table. With 14 tables there is no excuse a team would land on the table 2X as I read in another posting
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote