MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Multiple food vendor with 10K-15K attendees

BigMista,

I am sorry to here that you did not do well on the Red Bull Event. I am planning on attending an event, in Plant City FL, in November. The competition allows us to vend our product. I have never vended before and with 10,000 to 15, 000 people expected and 60+ contestants, I am not sure how to calculate number of meals to prepare for sale. I downloaded Capt Ron's spreadsheets to assist in how much meat to prepare for any given number of people, but it provides no information on how to calculate in an environment such as an event, that will have multiple vendors selling virtually the exact same product.

Can you, or anyone else out here, provide me with a little advice in how best to calculate numbers in such an environment? I need to prepare a proforma and see if the numbers in sale can reasonably justify the trip down and still put money in my pocket. If I could afford to take a chance and wing it, suffer the lose if it occurred, I would just count it off as a learning experience and base new event proformas on my experience there, but I need to take this to the Dragon's Den, so to speak, and make it as realistic as possible.

Looking forward to everyones input on this one.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

What event and who's vending?
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
What event and who's vending?
Plant City Pig Jam in Florida. Thought I put that in the body of the message. The other vendors will be other contestants in the event.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
big brother smoke

What ^^^^ said!

Edit: You beat me to it, lol!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
What ^^^^ said!

Edit: You beat me to it, lol!
I must be loosing it! I could have sworn I wrote:

" I am planning on attending an event, in Plant City FL, in November. The competition allows us to vend our product. "

I am sure I could have been a little more clear, but in my mind Event and Competition on this forum would have been self evident.

Sorry again for the confusion
Old 09-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
lazybonesmoke1
Full Fledged Farker

How many days and what are the hours for the vending? Your best bet would be to get intouch with someone that did it last year and ask these questions.
lazybonesmoke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybonesmoke1 View Post
How many days and what are the hours for the vending? Your best bet would be to get intouch with someone that did it last year and ask these questions.
Good start. How many vended last year? What are the health dept requiremnts for vending is another question to be answered. I'm sure you can't just setup and vend and I've heard Florida is pretty tough.

Now the tougher stuff - what will distinguish you from other vendors so people will come to you. Advertising people can see is critical.

Now a lot depends on what you have won. If you are going up against award winning teams then expect them to take msot of the people.
Figure 1/2 the people will eat something and then figure out how many will come to you based on your "crowd appeal". It's really a crap shoot the first time out and you could be off by big numbers either way.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:19 PM   #8
Bbq Bubba

Ford, i have the other half of your trailer....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trailer 006.jpg (55.5 KB, 50 views)
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
ABQ
On the road to being a farker

Doing something like this, would someone bring their own meat or try to find a local purveyor? Logistics?
Old 10-01-2009, 02:14 AM   #10
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

it is a one day event. i am already looking into health requirements but no vending license required. 60+ competitors probably half or more vending.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:34 AM   #11
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I wouldn't vend this event for my first time out. It's better go go and see what others are doing so you know what you are dealing with in the future.

At the moment you have *60+ contestants lets say 40 vend you have an issue with location and with equipment I assume so if 10,000 attend and most places bump the numbers up lets say half of them eat ( the market is not at it's best right now) that's 5 to 7,000 now divide that between the vendors. Now look at your product, placement, saleability, cost to vend, time and history in regards to the event for the vendors. and you should be in the ball park.

Remember some people vend because they like to others vend because the want to then there are those that vend because they need to. I'm in the need to slot and I feel as though there wouldn't be enough in this one for me.

How are you set up for vending?

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:55 AM   #12
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
I wouldn't vend this event for my first time out. It's better go go and see what others are doing so you know what you are dealing with in the future.

At the moment you have *60+ contestants lets say 40 vend you have an issue with location and with equipment I assume so if 10,000 attend and most places bump the numbers up lets say half of them eat ( the market is not at it's best right now) that's 5 to 7,000 now divide that between the vendors. Now look at your product, placement, saleability, cost to vend, time and history in regards to the event for the vendors. and you should be in the ball park.

Remember some people vend because they like to others vend because the want to then there are those that vend because they need to. I'm in the need to slot and I feel as though there wouldn't be enough in this one for me.

How are you set up for vending?
Thanks for the insight and the wisdom. I have similiar reservations to this particular situation that is why I am asking the question and looking for the Brethren's input.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:03 AM   #13
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'm not trying to put you of only giving you something to think about. I have had good runs and very bad ones but we have learned a thing or two from each one.
Best of luck and if it feels right then go for it if only to cater a small amount just to get the feel of it all and minimize and losses.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #14
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
I'm not trying to put you of only giving you something to think about. I have had good runs and very bad ones but we have learned a thing or two from each one.
Best of luck and if it feels right then go for it if only to cater a small amount just to get the feel of it all and minimize and losses.

You are not putting me off in any way. You just very nicely stated the reasons I was looking for input and device from the more experienced. I hoping for a lot more comments and insights from all angles of the issue, so I can make an informed decision.

That's the reason for doing a proforma to separate the realities from the dreams.