Earl Campbell cooking at Bass Pro Shop in Grapevine Tx

Hey. If you get the chance to meet Earl Campbell in person, you'd better do it now.

He was on the Super Bowl 40 Greatest Houston Sports Figures show, and he's not
getting around very well.

Perhaps all the wear and tear of being a punishing RB is taking it's toll, but as
painfully (it seemed to me) as looked for him to move around I wouldn't expect
a lot of public appearances.

I pray for the best - I met him at a Rockets game (signing autographs next
to a sausage booth) and he's a good guy.

He's a class act, and you are correct about his ability to get around these days. A primary reason I posted that.

I had doubts about his ability to get around when he played. From the time he was tackled until the next snap he moved like he couldn't walk another step, then he'd be off like a shot and mow defensive players over like they weren't there. You never saw one guy bring him down. My second favorite RB to see highlights of. Nobody better than Sweetness, another class act.

Earl's a nice guy. He hit on my Mom when I was in high school. Go figure.

Bigmista said:
Earl's a nice guy. He hit on my Mom when I was in high school. Go figure.

Well, did you punch him out or get his autograph?

Used to see Earl all the time down at Shoal Creek on Lamar. (I think thats the name of the place). He used to sit in the back by the pool table and was always ready to play a game with you.

He sticks pretty close to home these days, Westlake. Rumor has it that his knees are bad enough that he had an elevator installed.

Bud Adams mod. Maybe Bum Philips, but Campbell was about the only horse in his stable.

I don't think you can put this on management (I love BUM and BLUE)
I lived in the jocks dorm at UT - the jocks were the most intest- self motivated people I ever saw (Playing handball with the linebackers was real fun - I didn't know I could sort of fly). I think Earl played the game the way he knew he could and the way he wanted.

The problem is that football is not really condusive(sp) to health in your old age.

R

Back