Why some hate BBQ Chicken

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Ive heard a couple of fairly well known cooks as well as some others say that they think chicken should never be BBQ'd. Im just curious how many people feel this way.

I personally love the stuff if its done right, but if someone doesnt hey thats cool too.

Granpa always said if everybody liked the same thing then everybody would be trying to get with Grandma!

Well if you if you mean smoked ie.( low and slow) ... I dont care for it too much...But grilled it is kick butt..

I do mine on a UDS with no heat shield at about 300* I guess you could call that "elevated grilling" but it takes a while. Wings are awesome this way.

Well Dagummit , you are grilling it...you are doing good....

i dont care for low and slow chicken, i think its just part of the competitions because is a pain in the but and almost impossible to make bite thru. I'd rather indirect grill then sauce and crisp. preferably on a kettle

What I think you see a lot with BBQ chicken by most people is that it is not done all the way. Usually blood around the bone. At least that is what most people tell me. (I get the comments, wow, this is done all the way to the bone and its not dry!)

Once you've figured out how to make the skin bite through, there's nothing better. The process is not that difficult and takes about 2-1/2 hours. The result is super moist and tender chicken.
Here's a way that works every time:
Put your thighs in a disposable pan, skin side up, and cover each one with squeezable margarine (Parkay or I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter). Don’t be shy, completely cover each thigh. Put the pan in the smoker uncovered at 275 degrees for one hour. Now, cover the pan and cook for another hour at 275. Finally, sauce each piece thoroughly and put them back in the cooker directly on the rack for about 15 minutes to set the glaze. Handle them carefully, they will be super tender at this point. The result will be tender, juicy BBQ chicken with soft ‘bite through’ skin. If you prefer crispy skin, now move them to a grill over direct medium heat and turn constantly until the skin reaches the desired color and crispness.

Can I change everyones mind with this????

DSCF2944_949.jpg

Cheers!

Bill

I don't smoke chicken that often, but the last time was an incredible success. I don't know what the formula was, but here's the breakdown:

smaller leg quarters, wishbone Italian overnight, Paul Kirk rub right before smoking at roughly 300 to about 185 or so IT

We didn't sauce this chicken, just sassafrass smoke in a big vertical smoker for a reunion, and yes, a lot of the skin was what I'd call "bite through", and plumb good. I guarantee ya that this yardbird was better than most of my grilled chicken, and lately that would be what's referred to as "roadside chicken".

I think what might've made a lot of the difference was the chicken, itself. The leg quarters were definately smaller than what we see in stores around here, and probably had less fat as well.

I prefer grilled to smoked as well. If I'm smoking a chicken, it's usually to debone and use in another recipe.

That being said, I like grilled chicken, but would prefer not to have it sauced on the grill.

Not to hijack, but if you think BBQ chicken doesn't sound good, look at my most recent post in Q-Talk. If you don't think that looks good, you don't like food.

It depends on your state of mind. "bbq chicken" found in most contesrts is not " bbq chicken" by my definition but I don't want to go there with this thread. I have eaten delicious smoked chicken produced in commercial rotissiere smokers where the skin was thin and edible but I can't produce it on my smoker. I have wondered if the "trick" comes from a moist environment and the constant basting produced by cooking multiple chickens this way. Actually creating a "mini braise". Grilling, frying and other direct forms of cooking dry the skin and in some cases produces chicken skin jerky.

I love 1/2 chickens smoked around 275 for a couple hours. Still can't figure out how to get six of those bad boys in a turnin box though? :laugh:

On the BBQ Central radio show during the recent chicken round table - 2 of the 3 top cooks said their chicken is only on the smoker for a 1/2 hour cooked indirectly high heat. Is that BBQ or grilling? My own frustrations aside, I am starting to understand why so many would not be bothered removing chicken from the KCBS lineup.

i like to do them in a pan, with some onions, potatoes, beer and broth.
after 2.5/3 hrs the chick is done, and the moist in the pan is used for making gravy.

or grilled, for jerk chicken.

I'd rather indirect grill then sauce and crisp. preferably on a kettle

^This. I have yet to try chicken on my new UDS though. Last time I made Teriyaki Chicken Drums they were fantastic and were made on the kettle. My chicken always turns out moist like my women.

I love chicken grill or low and slow. Spatchcoked, brined, you name it, I love it.

Back