An onion and some fire. What to do?

NCGrimbo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
So I'm going to fire up the Weber this weekend and do some boneless pork chops, brats, corn, and onions. My issue is that I'm not sure how I want to cook the onions. Usually, I just cut them into rounds and grill those, but I'm looking for other ways to cook them. So, please post any suggestions you have for cooking onions on my Weber.

Thanks!

I skin them, leave them whole, but slice from the top down about 3/4 of the way through, put about 2 tablespoons of softened butter and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar on top and wrap in several layers of HD foil then right into the coals for 45 minutes up to an hour.
They come out soft, sweet and delicious.
My wife eats the blackened parts and I love the soft inner parts.

Foil pack. Slice them thin with some green peppers and potatoes. Put them all in a foil package with a pat of butters and some ground pepper. Seal it up. Over the fire, in the fire, or next to the fire until tender.

I slice mine on a foil pan, and add a good amount of honey infused whiskey, then let them ride until they are carmelized...

Cut them in half and disassemble them into two layer pieces, stuff them with loose sausage or seasoned ground beef. Makes great food and conversation pieces.

As far as the scraps and the non stuff able pieces, just toss them on the coals while you grill the chops, they impart a unique flavor into the pork.

I just cut a pretty good size off the top, wrap in foil with the top open about half way down on the onion, pour on some olive oil and let roast. I'll do a couple when I have the big weber going for chicken or such. Seems like it takes just a bit less than an hour.

We like to make an “onion cup” by removing the insides with a melon baller. Chop what you removed, then mix with bacon, garlic, Gorgonzola, black pepper, and butter. Stuff all that back into the onion cup. Add more bacon to the top, wrap in foil, and grill.

Sometimes I just toss them in the fire. The aroma is killer

I've always enjoyed coring them out 3/4 down, a pat of butter and a beef bullion cube then wrap in foil and roast until very soft. The beef and butter fully permeate the now sweet onion.

Slice off the top, slice down about 3/4 of the way so you have quarters. Try to core out the middle a bit and add a tablespoon or two of butter & a beef bouillon cube. wrap in foil & cook. Comes out tasting like french onion soup. YUM!

I slice them thin and foil with EVOO, garlic, potatoes and broccoli and S&P. On the grill for about 45 min.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back