• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Discussion Thread -> "Kettle Cook Off!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"Kettle Cook Off
!"

DSC_2146_zps4872ee67.jpg

This is a chitter kettle. It is not a Weber. I purchased it at Wal Mart. It holds Charcoal. It cooks. Therefore, it is a charcoal kettle. :thumb: If you'd like to see how this meat turned out from the Chitter Kettle, you can check it out HERE.

As chosen by sliding billy for his two way tie with TailGateJoeCom on the "Easter Feast & Leftovers" Throwdown!

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

sliding_billy said:
TailGateJoecom said for me to pick something for the next throwdown. I would like the theme to be "Cooked on a Charcoal Kettle!" Uncooked ingredients can be in the entry shot. Also, must include at least one pic of the main ingredient(s) on the kettle so we can see the charcoal burning method and type of cooker, etc.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 5/9 through Sunday 5/18.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 5/19

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
I'll start off the quality thread by showing my kettle that the Executive Committee, through our brother Sliding Billy's response, has confirmed is a kettle even though that word is not written on it. :becky: It will need to burn lump charcoal, though, and not wood sticks.

That's definitely a Kettle, Kathy. I'll be using my trusty Kingsford Oval for this TD:

IMG_0272-1.jpg

Well, I suppose if you're not first, you're last...

I did some spare ribs, "trimmed" to St. Louis style, with rib tips and a couple of pounds of eye of round that will be sliced for roast beef for the week.

Please accept this as my official entry photo:

Full cook thread can be found here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188451

Looks nice, good colour. Is the smoked onion for roast beef sandwiches? And that's the rib tips between the onions? Looks a bit like a monster chicken wing. :becky:
The onion was just in there to add some moisture during the cook. Also the smell is awesome. And yes, those were some rib tips in there, gotta have a snack while cookin!

I'll start off the quality thread by showing my kettle that the Executive Committee, through our brother Sliding Billy's response, has confirmed is a kettle even though that word is not written on it. :becky: It will need to burn lump charcoal, though, and not wood sticks.

You can use sticks if you burn them outside for coals, then move the coals into the kettle. It's labor intensive.

Dang this is right in my wheel house. Hopefully I can get some time to do this, this week. I use my kettle for everything

You can use sticks if you burn them outside for coals, then move the coals into the kettle. It's labor intensive.

Yes, it is. Before I joined this site and was trying to figure out how to smoke low and slow I would keep that kettle by me when burning brush and replace the embers as needed from my brush bed. I'm smoking two old laying hens, most likely as coq au vin, a long cook, so I'm best to keep the labour required to a minimum and use ready-made charcoal. Unless I decide to burn brush that day, I do have quite a lot. Hmmmm…...

anyone? :attention::attention::attention::attention::attention:

I tried to figure out what they were made of, too, and haven't been able to. All I could find out is they are a solid fuel but they don't say what it is. Proprietary secret, maybe? I'm going to email them and send a link to this thread and your question, Titch, maybe they will be able to answer.

The Awful Truth About Heatbeads

I had no idea what Heatbeads were, and their web site doesn't help...

http://www.heatbeads.com.au/product/heat-beads-bbq-briquettes/

I found a reference on a reseller site that said they are better than charcoal, so I guess they are not charcoal, but what are they?

Actually, they are made mostly of charcoal:

http://www.heatbeads.com.au/tip/how-are-heat-beads-bbq-briquettes-made/

They sure don't make this easy to locate on their website, but then again, they are Australians, after all. :mrgreen:

Looks like Titch is in!

Back