eggheads, I need some advice please

Muzzlebrake

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have actually been looking at ceramic type cookers for some time now, I tried to talk to the Primos guys at the Royal but didn't really have all that much time. Doc looked busy whenever I managed to get by his set up and didn't want to bother him.
I know most of you think they are great cookers
What do you think a good price for a used large egg would be? how about new? The table worth it? I have heard it is a must.....
I have been thinking of one to use for cooking tandoori style or using it as a Korean type BBQ. Do you think it would work well in that capacity?

Unless you can find a used one at a screaming price, i would look at getting one new. A large would be the way to go to take advantage of the eggs greatest asset... VERSATILITY. You'll end up doing everything on it from low and slow to searing steaks and baking pizzas. The best price i have seen lately on a new large was 675.00 in an nest (rolling stand) You can always deal with the table later.

Paul

Sean- I paid $699 and that included the nest, bag of BGE lump,box of starters, & delivery. I don't know that it is the best price around but it is a fair price. Of course I still haven't cooked on it yet because it is in Fl and I am on LI.

Go new if possible for the warranty. And like it was said above. A table can come later. I have about $35 invested in my table for my Medium. There's a thread here somewhere. I have a nest for when I take it with me.

a table is really optional...

you'll find the ceramic cookers can do so much more than other types of cookers. it's really the versatility that hooked me... that and the pretty green color :biggrin:

i'm bringing home another demo egg from eggtoberfest for $600:

large Big Green Egg (which includes an external temperature gauge, dual function metal top, stainless steel mesh draft door, DVD, and manual)
EGG Nest
Grill Gripper
Box of Fire Starters
Ash Tool
20# bag of Lump Charcoal

I'm watching CL everyday now hoping that someone wants to sell their Egg after the season.

I've got a small (no pun intended :cry:) and its OK. It can do 12-15 chicken thighs, or one very small butt, or simmer beans in a 5 qt Lodge pot. But thats about it. I need a Large BGE to accompany it.

Like said above: a Large is the most versatile Egg.

I'll give one piece of advice that you didn't ask for Stay away from the Off brands! I bought one of the below the Importer does not stand behind the warranty Etc...

http://www.thebayou.com/Pages/Cypress%20Series.html

Other than the shoddy construction cooking on ceramic is great! really effiecent versitile etc... I'm going to get an Egg or a Primo just making this one last the rest of the season.

Chances are that it's sold but Ronelle posted a recent CL link in the For Sale section of a guy in NJ selling a used large BGE w/ table for $400.

I have two mediums that I don't use nearly enough but plan to make more time now. I really like them. I only have the nests (still need to put the side table on too). I store all my cookers in my garage and just move them a few feet outside the door so the table is not needed for me. Nor do I trust leaving my cookers outside (except the gasser.. go figure).

I would suggest going to an Eggfest where you should be able to pick up a large with a nest for about $600. Check the Egg forum to find the nearest fest. If you can't wait, I would say $699 is a good price new. They are great. They do everything well.

Brett

Back