MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Question Coconut Oil and Cast Iron

My fiancee went paleo a couple months ago to help nail down a food allergy and liked it so much she's not only sticking with it but I jumped on board as well. (Want to drop about 30 more lbs to look good on all those wedding album photos!) ;)

I have cast iron on two of my grills and use a lot of CI cookware, too. I've usually used peanut oil for seasoning but peanuts are a paleo no-no. Coconut oil is heavily pushed by paleo practitioners as a very healthy oil that has a lot of benefits, which got me wondering if anyone had tried it for cast iron seasoning and to what degree of success?
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

Is flaxseed oil allowed for paleo? If so, check out this link (was posted on this board previously):
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/20...ing-cast-iron/

I haven't used it for seasoning, but I do cook with coconut oil in my cast iron all the time--works great.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've never had a problem with it. If I remember right coconut oil has a smoke point of 350º and I typically season my cast iron at about 250º or thereabouts.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
ubp_sanity
Knows what a fatty is.

I would say that flaxseed, being a grain would be a no as well, but I would have thought peanut would be ok. Peanuts are beans though..
ubp_sanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

How much harm can it do to your diet if you're only seasoning it with peanut oil?
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

I use coconut oil in my cast iron and it seems fine

Old 03-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

I would think it would be fine. like jazzybadger said high smoke point

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

I'll give it a whirl. Been cooking with coconut oil a lot just not in CI. Looking for more ways of getting in in the diet.

Yeah, I'm not so strict that I'd worry about using peanut oil for seasoning grates or a pan or whatever, but trying to help the better half in eliminating food allergies so avoiding it, at least for the time being. Haven't read about flax either way, but I'm just a newbie. I'm practicing more of what you'd call "practical paleo". I stick by the rules as much as possible but when I'm out at a restaurant or etc. I tend to just stick with lean meats and veggies instead of quiz the server about how much X or Y there is in stuff. I think the benefits I've seen mostly come from far fewer carbs and increased veggies, plus avoiding processed stuff. Working well so far and feel great!

Next weekend I plan to do racks of beef ribs with paleo-friendly rub and sauce. I can post pron and recipe if any are interested.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah, there's a HUGE difference between seasoning with an oil and cooking with it.

Long story short from what I've read when you season you WANT to go past the smoke point. When you are cooking you never want the oil to smoke.

Allergies are one thing and I wouldn't mess with it in that case however I would not be overly concerned if you are using an oil to season but do not want to cook with it. The seasoning process itself changes the chemical properties of the oil.

22.5 OTS, 22.5 WSM, SJG (and soon to have the tamale pot mini-WSM conversion built)

Stealth gray Thermopen

jamus34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #10
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamus34 View Post
Yeah, there's a HUGE difference between seasoning with an oil and cooking with it.

Long story short from what I've read when you season you WANT to go past the smoke point. When you are cooking you never want the oil to smoke.

Allergies are one thing and I wouldn't mess with it in that case however I would not be overly concerned if you are using an oil to season but do not want to cook with it. The seasoning process itself changes the chemical properties of the oil.
that's actually what the page in the link I posted talks about--basically you heat the oil to the point where it polymerizes, which leaves the seasoning. at that point, it there really isn't anything left that's the original flaxseed oil, so it should be fine, even if it's not strictly paleo

Old 03-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Coconut oil for cast iron is fine, I use it all the time. So is lard.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
popeye
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamus34 View Post

very well put . cast iron can be your friend if you use it right . If you don't you can use it for a paper weight .
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
RL Reeves Jr
On the road to being a farker

lots of smoke point info here http://www.drgourmet.com/ingredients/smokepoints.shtml
RL Reeves Jr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #14
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

As long as it's a saturated fat (which coconut oil is), then it is good for seasoning cast iron. Just avoid unsaturated fats.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #15
yelonutz
is one Smokin' Farker

Use lard, it makes everything better.
Medium Green Egg
Mini Green Egg
New Black stoker with built in wi-fi
KCBS CBJ #20258
Drunk Uncles BBQ Team, Ruining Family Gatherings for Over 20 Years.

DAMN IT ANDY!!
yelonutz is offline   Reply With Quote