Carne Crosta

OneHump

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Someone had mentioned “Carne Crosta” in another thread and I hadn’t heard of it so I looked it up. Not only did I find a lot of positive feedback, but I also learned that it came from Oakridge BBQ, which I’m very familiar with. I decided to run a test.

I souse vide a prime ribeye to 125F (about 1.5 hr). Per the instructions, I coated each side of the cooked steak with 1tsp of EVOO and liberally Coates with Carne Crosta. I got a cast iron skillet to 650F and then added about 1/4C of EVOO. Seared for 1.5 min per side. Bonkers.

The hype is real. My wife said that the texture was like sushi. Can’t wait to actually serve this.

cIuL9Gu.jpg

U9Z0TTD.jpg

SwpTNm0.jpg

Love Carne Crosta, that looks like a fine ribeye. X2 on cutting it with Santa Maria, I recently tried that and liked how it turned out :thumb:

If I cook a steak or burgers for that matter without Carne Crosta my wife will divorce me. :shocked:

Ribeye looks awesome! :thumb:

Thanks for all of the kind words, everyone, and thanks for no ill will about the sous vide. :)

I actually heard about Carne Crosta in another recent thread about sous vide. It truly can/does make the best steak. It's also fantastic for chicken breast, if you're on a diet. I've got an FEC 120, 2 Eggs, 2 WSM, 1 Yoder Flat Top grill and a SmokeFire OTW, so I'm definitely not pushing water cooking. :D

Also, thanks for the tip on adding Santa Maria. That actually showed up at my door yesterday, by chance. Looking forward to trying that as well!

Nice steak!

Carne Crosta, along with at least one other rub, won the World Food Championships a couple of years ago on a steak.

Correct. That was a mix of our Carne Crosta and Santa Maria rubs. The chef was Kari Like and her husband Bryan. It was also rumored that the overall winner the following cycle also cooked a similar program on steak and won again...

I had been using Carne Crosta on my steaks for quite a while. I use it whenever we have company. My girlfriend and her sisters were at some fancyish local steakhouse, and at least 3 people said they liked my steaks better. I don't do anything special, just CC and a hot sear. I use this as one of the rubs I send friends to use for their home grilling.

Then I discovered the 50/50 blend that was mentioned here. And, the last time I did that blend, the friend stole my Santa Marie to take home and make his own blend.

It's no hype. It's real. I never strayed from S&P on beef until I came across Carne Crosta. So now it's either S&P or Carne Crosta. Flush all the other beef rubs.

Glad your enjoying it OP.

Last edited:
It's no hype. It's real. I never strayed from S&P on beef until I came across Carne Crosta. So now it's either S&P or Carne Crosta. Flush all the other beef ribs.

Glad your enjoying it OP.

Same thing. I was a super purist before Carne Crosta. "If it's good beef, It doesn't need anything else" well, now I feel that's like saying you don't need more horsepower. Does a good steak NEED Carne Crosta? No, maybe not. But Carne Crosta can make a great steak, even better.

I had been using Carne Crosta on my steaks for quite a while. I use it whenever we have company. My girlfriend and her sisters were at some fancyish local steakhouse, and at least 3 people said they liked my steaks better. I don't do anything special, just CC and a hot sear. I use this as one of the rubs I send friends to use for their home grilling.

Then I discovered the 50/50 blend that was mentioned here. And, the last time I did that blend, the friend stole my Santa Marie to take home and make his own blend.

Wait.. I didn't pick this up from earlier posts, I just assumed it was separate topics .. a 50/50 mix of carne crosta, and santa maria? First time hearing this.. I'm gonna have to try it!

Back