MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Default 40% vending fee - would you do it?

Have any of you BBQ folks out there who do vending worked a venue where they ask for 40% of your take at the cash register as your vending fee? We are considering a new venue, but really need to crunch some numbers to see how profitable it might be.

We have vended at an event that took 30% and I thought that was pretty steep, but we did make money. The new venue is one that will have some very big crowds.

Lots to consider. Any ideas or suggestions?

Old 10-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

That is steep. Any other costs involved like permits? Consider competition. Ask them for numbers for comparable vendors for the last three years. Consider what % you need to make for it to be worthwhile. If you didn't cook this event, would you be working at all during that time?

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha View Post
Have any of you BBQ folks out there who do vending worked a venue where they ask for 40% of your take at the cash register as your vending fee? We are considering a new venue, but really need to crunch some numbers to see how profitable it might be.

We have vended at an event that took 30% and I thought that was pretty steep, but we did make money. The new venue is one that will have some very big crowds.

Lots to consider. Any ideas or suggestions?
LB Grand Prix gets 32% less sales tax on top of your vendor fee - If this helps. Hard to make it back until the 3rd day's sales.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
Bbq Bubba

As said earlier Marsha, absolutely not. 40 % before expenses would be suicide IMO.
Given an overhead of 25% (low), out of $1000 sales you have $250 in overhead, they get $400 and that leaves you a profit of $350.
Not good business in my book.
Good luck on your decision and let us know what you decide.

What kind of event demands 40% of your cash sales?
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
lazybonesmoke1
Full Fledged Farker

How are they gonna know what your cash sales are for the day?
lazybonesmoke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
landarc

Back when I was shooting video for horse events, this started coming in vogue, and a few were asking for that much money. It doesn't make sense for a business to do this. I know they claim that they are giving you a market, but, it is still very difficult unless the market has no other choices. I would not do it, even if I had an exclusive, unless there was some safeguards in the agreements.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the great replies. The venue is Infineon Raceway, north of San Francisco. They hold a NASCAR race once a year, motorcycle, NHRA, and Indy car races, etc. We were pleased that they approached us to vend there. But, now that I think about it, why does the venue need to go out looking for more food vendors? The best venues we work often have a waiting list of people wanting to vend there because they have a good reputation as being a well organized, profitable event. I have a list of questions for them when I talk to them after we read the information packet they are sending, and that list is getting longer all the time.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
bbqbull
Watching over us.

When I did catering on a very small scale for a couple years I wound never consider those type fees.
I did private partys, graduations ect., no vending.
That almost sounds like the mobsters demaning a very high price for your protection or even allow you to vend.
I hope im not out of line here with my comments but thats borderline insanity.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybonesmoke1 View Post
How are they gonna know what your cash sales are for the day?
Some places send a person out each day to watch you Z out your cash register and everyone initials the paper roll at that point then you turn it all in at the end of the day.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
big brother smoke

+1 on Bull's comments. This sounds like mobster stuff!