• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS Pooper Scooper

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Granite City, Illinois (Near St. Louis "GO CARDS")
Made a scoop out of an old handle and a piece of steel for the UDS. I didn't like turning the UDS over to clean out the bottom ash and charcoal. When I built the UDS, I also wasn't smart enough to have the bung hole on the bottom, to use as a clean out hole. So I had this idea instead. Works good enough between major cleanings. I worry about all the built up ash eating away at the bottom of the barrel. I'm sure it will help and now I can quit thinking about it.

IMG_3724.jpg

IMG_3726.jpg

IMG_3730.jpg

IMG_3722.jpg

IMG_3723.jpg

Pappy that's a great idea!! :thumb:
I come close to falling head-first into my drum sometimes. :-D

you can also go to Petsmart/Petco and get one of the pooper scoopers they sell. All that needs to be done is to round the edge some to the circumference of your drum and your good to go. :thumb:

I have a scooper like that on a stick... plastic though... got it at walmart along with a broom to use with it for about six bux.

you can also go to Petsmart/Petco and get one of the pooper scoopers they sell. All that needs to be done is to round the edge some to the circumference of your drum and your good to go. :thumb:

I have a scooper like that on a stick... plastic though... got it at walmart along with a broom to use with it for about six bux.

What fun would there be in that .......... I like making something out of nothing. Plus, I'm cheep and it was free.

Great ingenuity!:clap2:

As far as the ash eating away at your drum....I THINK that it's only corrosive when it gets wet. Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure.

Either way, if you're not into the "trash can dump" manouver, then doing it that way is necessary! Good stuff!:thumb:
PLUS....great thinking making it rounded in shape to get into the corners of that round drum!

Whatever you do.....I hope you're not throwing away that charcoal!!!!

Great idea!

Why is there good charcoal in the bottom of your drum?

The space between the bars on my charcoal basket are a little to wide. Sometimes a couple of pieces will slip through the cracks when I lower it into the drum. If I place them just right nothing is lost. It only the top, outer edge that falls through. I should to add some expanded metal to keep everything inside.

IMG_3481.jpg

I hope you're not throwing away that charcoal!!!!

I sift through it and re-use it.

Now that charcoal basket is something to behold (I bet it doesn't look like that any more!).

Care to share the process you used to make the scooper? I am just wondering if it took special tooling or if this is something that the average person could build.

Care to share the process you used to make the scooper? I am just wondering if it took special tooling or if this is something that the average person could build.

Ugly – Drum – Scooper (UDS)
It wasn’t very hard to make. I have a few tools to work with. (I actually like the hoe idea the most.)
Cut off an old handle that I found in the trash at work. I wanted it just long enough to clean out the bottom without having to really reach in. The metal was already c-shaped. Just had to cut and bend. I have a 4” handheld grinder (favorite tool) that I used for cutting. You could use a hack saw. For bending I used a vise and a BFH. I drilled a couple of holes for the bolts and that's it. The hardest part was bending the metal. It is stainless steel. That’s what I had laying around in the garage.
It is nothing fancy, lacks craftsmanship, just functional.

Nice idea! Yeah, I'm getting tired of falling into my UDS as well, and the ash over everything if I tip it over.

Back