36 hour sous vide asian pork belly

centexsmoker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
had some left over belly from the bacon I have in the cure this week so I thought I would make some snacks. I did a 36 hour Sous Vide on a few parts with a soy ginger/5 spice marinade. I took it out today and glazed it with a soy/ginger/mirin reduction and seared it on the bge to caramelize. The flavors were great but 36 hrs was too much for the thinner parts and the texture was not great on the thinner parts. I will definitely do again with a shorter SV cook.

AC332C2C-FB2C-48C0-8AF7-9D6F4717EFB8-6855-0000101F12044A33.jpg

21F53E4F-16B4-4394-86CD-55571B3CB266-6855-0000101F0AD91B97.jpg

I have not been a fan of pork belly in sous vide. That looks like you did a great job.

I agree, not a fan but yours looks better than those I had.
Keep at it, I'd like my mind changed because I do a lot of pork belly.
Wait...no...better if I don't have more options, come to think of it:doh:

I did a Porchetta at the same time and just ate it. It was really good:

This is right out of the SV:

428DF296-1A4E-491C-915C-28D422D7BC33-4041-0000038A4235C03C.jpg

Quick Sear on the BGE

11A50341-CDF4-4974-A77D-B1B4AC43E589-4041-0000038A4D5FD376.jpg

Yum

15CBCF61-1C66-4DA2-898F-6B2565056B03-4041-0000038A555D69A2.jpg

Is your faux porchetta just a rolled belly? It looks TASTEE.

Is your faux porchetta just a rolled belly? It looks TASTEE.
It does look great!

BTW, not sure you should call it "faux porchetta", guys.
One of my pet peeves (why do I always feel I am too much in touch with my feminine side when I say that?)
the diminishing of our language when people use names of known things for something else, in this case I don't think "porchetta" has to be a particular cut other than fatty pork?
Anyone?
I think that is porchetta?

It does look great!

BTW, not sure you should call it "faux porchetta", guys.
One of my pet peeves (why do I always feel I am too much in touch with my feminine side when I say that?)
the diminishing of our language when people use names of known things for something else, in this case I don't think "porchetta" has to be a particular cut other than fatty pork?
Anyone?
I think that is porchetta?

a true Porchetta is actually the belly with the loin attached and the belly wrapped around the loin so it's not really a Porchetta

a true Porchetta is actually the belly with the loin attached and the belly wrapped around the loin so it's not really a Porchetta
Really?
Where can I verify, I'd love to get this right because I often wondered?
I have seen lots of versions and always wondered...a deli near here does a cold sliced one that I haven't even figured out yet!!

this is commonly called an all belly porchetta so I'm not worried about it being called a faux porchetta

Hey, I'm not coming at you..I am just keen to know.
If it is local knowledge that is fine, on thinking about it when I saw versions I thought this would probably be the case all over Italy...or the regions they do it at.
No worries.

In my family porchetta is just a pork roast, usually a butt when I'm cooking it, rubbed with spices, lots of fennel seed and cooked till it falls apart. I am aware that's not the traditional version. I don't care much about that though. It's farking awesome and it's pronunciation has been butchered to porkett by the family also. Who am I to correct my mother right? :) Heck they could rename it turd and I'd still eat it.

Hey, I'm not coming at you..I am just keen to know.
If it is local knowledge that is fine, on thinking about it when I saw versions I thought this would probably be the case all over Italy...or the regions they do it at.
No worries.

no worries man- I didn't thing you were. I'm all good and you are too. I was just doing 10 things at once so was giving one line responses.

Back