Question on a southern STYLE RUB?

D

Derek

I'll be in my lab tomorrow morning with the food blender, notebook, Measuring spoons, cups.

And I have a question what makes a rub southern besides region?

What's the base ingredient for a rub to become southern, although your not from the south?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am just gonna say that I don't see how a Northerner can make a Southern Rub. I don't even know what differentiates a Southern BBQ rub from a Northern BBQ rub. I have to say that if you want a competition rub and you are competing in the Midwest (Michigan?) then you would be best to find out what the judges like there. I am gonna guess sweet, mild kick and no big surprises.

I am just gonna say that I don't see how a Northerner can make a Southern Rub. I don't even know what differentiates a Southern BBQ rub from a Northern BBQ rub. I have to say that if you want a competition rub and you are competing in the Midwest (Michigan?) then you would be best to find out what the judges like there. I am gonna guess sweet, mild kick and no big surprises.

The word "southern" .
Thanks guys..

I'm sorry for the lame question. but I'm using google right now.

Bubba, and landarc, thanks for the tips guys.

And thanks everyone else.

The "native" rub in Central Virginia is either nothing or just salt and pepper. After that, a rub of brown sugar, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder is a staple for pork. For beef in my area, just salt and lots of pepper.

I worked in a central VA BBQ joint for a couple of years when I was in high school that routinely ran out of meat with lines out the door and we didn't use any rub at all on full pork shoulders. People loved the stuff.

Personally, my favorite rub for pork consists of salt, black pepper, red pepper, white pepper, garlic, and just enough cumin to add a nice twist. That's some good stuff.

Yeah depends on which part of the south you're talking about.
Kansas City loves their rubs to have sugar in it.
If you're talking about a Texas southern style rub.. then that is saying NO SUGAR.
So I mean, I guess it really depends on what you're using it on.. pork or beef. If you're going pork, then you're going KC/Carolinas I'd reckon.
If you're going beef.. then you'd go more on the no sweet stuff salt and pepper base Texas style.

Just my two cents.

Come on Derek... For real? Don't you think you're asking for alot here?
I use the following spices in my comp rubs:
chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, onion powder, garlic powder, ground mustard seed, celery seed, ground clove, ground ginger, ground turmeric, allspice, nutmeg, season salt, brown sugar, white sugar, light brown sugar, sea salt, kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper, cayenne pepper, white pepper, fancy 5 blend "crack your own" pepper with your mommas pepper cracker and Paparika.

Since you're in the lab I'll let you figure out what goes in which rub and how much to put in each. Let me know how you make out!!! Peace :becky:

Last edited:
Brown sugar and paprika with garlic powder, some pepper, maybe a lil cumin, some chili powder, onion powder and good ole kosher salt. Add some cayene for heat.

If I needed a southern competition rub I'd buy a big bag of Yardbird

Yeah depends on which part of the south you're talking about.
Kansas City loves their rubs to have sugar in it.
If you're talking about a Texas southern style rub.. then that is saying NO SUGAR.
So I mean, I guess it really depends on what you're using it on.. pork or beef. If you're going pork, then you're going KC/Carolinas I'd reckon.
If you're going beef.. then you'd go more on the no sweet stuff salt and pepper base Texas style.

Just my two cents.
Heck, even WITHIN states you're going to find a lot of variation. If you ask what a Tennessee rub is, someone from Memphis is going to have a very different opinion than someone from Bristol I reckon. :wink:

A word or three about salt - in my rubs (Texas-style) I use kosher salt exclusively - with the caveat that if you're making a rub from a recipe, use 1/3 less (by volume) kosher salt than you do regular old table salt. Just trust me on that one, mkay?

And my rubs have combinations of pepper powders - smoked and fresh ground peppers, like ancho chiles, etc.;
GRANULATED garlic (not garlic powder);
A little sugar to mellow everything out (kids gotta eat too, you know?);
And regular, off-the-shelf (Tone's) chili powder.

There... I feel I've said too much/given away the *secrets*! :becky:

Thank you for the avice guys.

I'm going to use Brown suger, white suger. and then the secrete spices I've found at a store one night...

My pork rub recipe:

• 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup Paprika
  • 2 tblsp coarse Salt (sea or kosher)
  • 2 tblsp Black Pepper
  • 1 tblsp Cayenne Pepper
  • 4 tsp Cumin
  • 2 tsp dry mustard
  • 2 tsp Onion Powder
  • 2 tsp Garlic Powder
  • 2 tsp Thyme Powder
  • 2 tsp Sage