• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Visit to My Old Favorite BBQ - Brethren Beware

Stlsportster

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
It’ll happen to you, if it already hasn’t.

Super Smokers in Eureka, MO...just outside St Louis. They opened here in 1996 when the competition BBQ scene hadn’t made it here yet. They won Whole Hog at Memphis in May in 2000.

Weekends there used to be a line out the door. Then they expanded too fast. Opened in multiple locations. Ahead of their time selling in kiosks in front of the grocery stores.

Now down to just the original location. Shell of themselves.

Jy7bU8ol.jpg

THtcNFol.jpg

BUT. That’s not the whole story.

1. Stopped in on my way home from a failed mission in search of a brickseek deal. Ordered a family pack with 2 full slabs, 2 large sides, bottle of sauce for $57, plus added a 1/2 lb of brisket. Sides I picked jalapeño corn bread and tomato cucumber salad. Over $70 after tax and a tip.

ZWDftrul.jpg

Small racks of baby backs. Tiny. Short end bones were only an inch long.

2. Family barely ate them. Told me my ribs are so much better, it wasn’t worth it. Brisket was tender but flavorless. Sides were good. Everything had the taste of being held too long.

So. Over $70 for something I can produce for under $20. And mine is better.

Now, I’m sure that if Terry Black, the original leader of that team, cooked me a whole hog, or a few racks off his personal smoker I’m sure it would be fantastic. Clearly the restaurant is different.

But still it’s ruined for me. Haven’t been there in a while and may never go back.

Have your favorites been ruined? Does your family complain about bbq when you go out?

Go out for BBQ.? :confused:
I don’t think we’ve gone out as a family for barbecue since before I started Q’n - we used to go to Cousin’s BBQ.
BUT if the Family is Not in the Mood for Q, I will sometimes run over to Jambos for a 2 meat plate for myself to get my Fix instead of cooking/smoking.......

Last edited:
Thomas Wolfe said "you can't go home again".

maybe that applies to old bbq haunts too.

sorry, brother

BUT We might try Hard 8 (New location coming in Burleson) if they ever get done building it......... cleared the Lot over a Year Ago.......looks kinda like a Bldg. now......

We go out for BBQ occasionally, and there is some great Que around here.

This was on a whim since I’m never close to there and happened to be over there.

There’s some good Q around here and there’s some sucky Q around here -I’m just too Poor to take the family for barbecue usually.......:oops:

I think my expectations are too high. I go if I'm out of town by myself I'll get bbq. Too expensive to take the family for subpar food.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BUT We might try Hard 8 (New location coming in Burleson) if they ever get done building it......... cleared the Lot over a Year Ago.......looks kinda like a Bldg. now......

Hard 8 is pretty good Q ,ate there at the one close to Plano Tx. during visit in 2014.

But is it subpar because of our expectations? Do other people still think it’s good Que?
The ones near me... yes! People seem to like them though. They've been open forever.

I also have had a few places ruined by my changed palate. But some still hold up. I drive by a place all the time that the locals rave about so I stopped in the other day. I just ordered the brisket and nothing else. I fully expected to be disappointed, but to my surprise it was really good. Not to say that myself or any of the brethren couldn't do better on any given day. But I was the best restaurant brisket I have had in a few years. So I guess I'm saying, some folks still do it right. Poked my head over the fence on my way out, 2 Oylers and one Ole Hickory burning away out back.

Interesting post. I enjoy smoking meat as much as anyone else, but eating other peoples barbecue and comparing it to yours is part of the fun. I have had excellent barbecue (Franklins, La BBQ) and crappy (Bill Miller - LOL) barbecue... it's not fun spending hard earned money on something you didn't enjoy, but now you know - that establishment is dead to you; never going back.

We had one local BBQ place close down but another one opened up and they are very good. They also compete and the place is filled with trophy's and plaques that they have won.

They have some of the best turkey breast I have ever ate. I wish I knew their process and what they put on it.

I make Pretty Decent Q but I don’t know if I could Hold it and keep it Fresh and Good all day in a restaurant.....:twitch:

Last edited:
One of these Days it’ll be Open.........New Hard 8 location in Burleson......it ain’t Small.....

9c7c75329357429acfad82c464549ebc.jpg
c7b4a71c30e5d3944261f38130a7ba0f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have been teasing us with that Coming Soon sign for over a year now

8f457a7e0b6cb92a54809db28c0694ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It may be Open in time for PJTexas to stop by on the way to the 2020 Spring Bash so he doesn’t have to cook........ :idea:

Last edited:
It may be Open in time for PJTexas to stop by on the way to the 2020 Spring Bash so he doesn’t have to cook........:twitch:
Don't give away my secrets. I thought we were friends???

Back