MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #16
InThePitBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

Looks like the difference between the small and large is a 6.5" opening versus 9" for the XL size, yea that's probably worth the few bucks to go bigger should work the same on smaller pieces I would think.
InThePitBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #17
Ruck816
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

My Wife got me the Kindle Jack for Valentine's Day (she's the greatest!). The one I had worked but it seemed like it took a lot more effort than what I've been seeing from the Kindling Cracker videos. We're sending it back and getting a Kindling Cracker King.
Ruck816 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-18-2019, 09:27 AM   #18
InThePitBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Northern Tool has the original and the XL on sale right now, this is the first time I've seen the XL model marked down it's $99.00 plus free shipping in the lower 48.

I ordered one last week, when it comes in I'll get it on an oak stump and post some pics.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:03 PM   #19
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

A few years ago I would have bought one, but now that I heat the house w/ bricks and use my offset maybe twice/yr, I have no need.

Still want one though.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:05 PM   #20
jdtTX
Full Fledged Farker

That northern one is the best purchase I've made in a long time

Old 02-21-2019, 01:59 PM   #21
InThePitBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Got the XL Cracker in from Northern today they have on sale, this thing flat out changes the game I took a wheelbarrow full of oak firewood and turned it into kindling in about 5 minutes.

Didn't bother mounting it with bolts to the stump just set it on there it's so heavy it stays put just fine and makes it easier to take back in out of the weather.

Started with a small 3lb hammer just to see how it went and never thought to go bigger it ran right through that stuff like it was nothing! Can't begin to make kindling this fast on the gas hydraulic splitter just due to the ram return time.

This is going to be a great addition to the stick burner cooking routine for managing smaller fires at lower temps when wanted.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:00 PM   #22
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InThePitBBQ View Post
Northern Tool has the original and the XL on sale right now, this is the first time I've seen the XL model marked down it's $99.00 plus free shipping in the lower 48.

I ordered one last week, when it comes in I'll get it on an oak stump and post some pics.
You just cost me $99!

or...to put it another way...you just saved me $30!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2019, 03:19 PM   #23
Kade
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Kade

Amazon has the same unit Northern sales for 99 as well.
Kade is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2019, 03:39 PM   #24
InThePitBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
You just cost me $99!

I just shook my head after the first couple splits and wondered how this wasn't a thing decades ago, you'll love it!

Old 02-21-2019, 05:04 PM   #25
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
You just cost me $99!

Wise decision!

Some friends of ours got me the regular size a few Xmas's ago. Wouldn't want to be without it, though would prefer the XL, but it wasn't available then.
Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2019, 06:02 PM   #26
InThePitBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I just ordered a 2nd one to leave in the catering trailer, the splitting maul's and axes can collect dust from now on this is so much easier, faster and safer to use.

Best thing about this XL size is it allows you to pick a line of grain on a piece of firewood that may be mostly off to one side and it allows enough clearance for the fat side to pass through when it splits.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:28 PM   #27
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I just ordered the XL. Can't let Springram's be bigger than mine! Do ya'll think a 3 or 4 pound hammer would work better?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2019, 07:41 PM   #28
InThePitBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I used a 3 pound today and was only splitting oak, for the nice heartwood pieces with clean straight grains end to end it took a light tap to set it into place on the blade and one hit to drive and split it not much effort required.

Had a few pieces with curved and uneven grain that took a couple hits to get down far enough to pop apart but those were 2 seconds start to finish with the 3 pound.

I think a 4lb would be good to have on hand if you were dealing with splits that had less desirable grains patterns, box suggests a 3 or 4 pound .

Old 02-21-2019, 07:54 PM   #29
sthamm
Full Fledged Farker

Kindling cracker (XL) and the Black and Decker alligator lopper completely changed the game for me. Chainsaw, mauls of different sizes, axes, and hatchets are all just sitting in the garage unused bc of these two brilliant inventions.
sthamm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2019, 08:47 AM   #30
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
You just cost me $99!

DanB