The pellet pooper killed it tonight!

rwalters

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
This was soooo simple but oh so good! I have seen these used quite often over the years, but have never given them a shot... what am I talking about?!?!

Chicken leg holders! Bought 3 of them on Amazon the other day. They arrived yesterday and today they were put to the test.

I used one of my favorite low n slow rubs... Texas BBQ Grand Champion. Liberally seasoned the drumsticks, hung them (about 30 drumsticks) on the holders. Three holders will easily fit on the main grate of the MAK and will hold a total of 36 drumsticks. I am pretty sure I could stuff 4 holders onto the main grate for a total of 48 drumsticks.

I smoked the drumsticks at 200° for 2 hours. At that point they were sitting at an internal temp of 155-160°. It was also at this point that I poured half a bottle off BBQ sauce into a bowl and thinned it a bit w/ apple juice. Removing each drumstick I dunked them one by one into the sauce and rehung. I then kicked the cooking temp up to 300 for about 30 mins... and then up to 350 til done... about another 20 or so mins. They were removed when the average internal temps were probing between 185-192°. Let them rest for about 15 mins and dug in. They were fantastic... some of the best drummies we’ve had in a long time.

If you don’t have the holders, I’d encourage you to pick up one or more and give this a shot... I do not think you’ll be disappointed as vertically cooked chicken is just not the same as horizontal chicken... lol [emoji846]

784c0068f4a01fee5d6f08f97598d828.jpg

bd30edde09e9502859b0aa40c4bbb768.jpg

a6688606f093b5fa50e50be8e5064102.jpg

3f4b323ec5eaefd9223c094196f05dd6.jpg

6a02c045c6800473d73bd4ed3790343b.jpg

Now they look great, another thing I need to buy

Those look great! I've thought about buying some of those racks, but I try to avoid anything that require extra clean up. I love to cook, and hate to clean.

Those look great! I've thought about buying some of those racks, but I try to avoid anything that require extra clean up. I love to cook, and hate to clean.
Same here. I have one and never used it. Got it on clearance somewhere. After seeing these i might have to dig it out. :thumb:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Got a dishwasher?

No, I have had them in the past, and didn't care for them. Pretty much anything that is hard to clean, needs to be half washed before you put it in there anyway.

Same here. I have one and never used it. Got it on clearance somewhere. After seeing these i might have to dig it out. :thumb:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

They were really easy to clean. Filled the sink with hot soapy water and soaked them while we ate. After dinner, gave them a light scrub and rinse... and good to go.

Those look fantastic! As far as dishwashers go, I love mine. It does a really good job on the dishes as well as cleaning the rest of the house. But in all seriousness, we have one but hardly use it. By the time you load and unload, dry the plastic bowls that have water in the lip and whatever else may be wet, it’s faster to wash by hand. Now if your only doing glass stuff it’s easier but anything plastic with a lip or a cup is a pain in the butt.

I don't know if I could make a whole meal with legs, just not a favorite..
Ed

Those look incredible, color and texture are perfect!

Much of the best chicken I have tasted comes off pellet grills, these are impressive.

Those look really, really good!

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't know if I could make a whole meal with legs, just not a favorite..
Ed

What’s your preferred poultry cut? I typically go for thighs, but a properly prepped/cooked drumstick is awfully good IMO :)

Back