Contest Announcment 13th Annual Ohio Smoked Meat & BBQ Festival 10/16 & 17, 2009

beardjp

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Yes Nelsonville is in the play for 2009. I know that is almost unheard of that Nelsonville posts information this early, but remember we are under new management.

We are still pulling our forms and applications together, and waiting for our final KCBS Sanctioning but we wanted to get some basic information out to The BBQ Brethren.

The 2009 competition will be held on October 16 and 17 in beautiful downtown Nelsonville. Information is available at the competition website: http://www.nelsonvillefd.org/ohiobbq.htm

Everyone’s participation last was greatly appreciated and we hope to continue the rebuilding this year. If you are planning on coming to Nelsonville and we will mark you down and get you the paperwork as soon as it is available.

Looking forward to another great year in 2009.

Thanks for sharing the information, I was getting worried when I didnt see anything on KCBS site. Looking forward to heading down again, and seeing if this time we can get Roger to bring his stick burner....grins.....and walk halfway straight....
See ya in October....

Great to hear from you Rob. I think this years cook's meeting will be in the Mine Tavern so Roger should be around.

Now Now now is there a tavern in town... I resemble that remark. What had happen was a elderly gentleman ask if I could hold his seat for him and I did. I will say one thing that sure was a long drive home that night.
Rob I am hoping to be able to make it. And yes STICK BURNERS RULE

As you can tell Dan is also a stick burner along with Rob

Last edited:
Roger, Mike said you better be heading to the contest this year, he has to have someone help him with all of the auction stuff.....
Will look forward to more information as it becomes available....

Rob if I have to walk halfway straight you will have to move that fountain its in my way. Also I call dibs on the spot in frt of the beauty parlor.

I love the competition, but I am partial to this one since I live in Nelsonville. We had some organizer and sponsor problems over the past few years, but the chamber of commerce stepped up in 2008 and saved the competition.

The competition was moved to the downtown area in 2008 and it worked well. The teams had room and utilities were available. It is a great competition to close out your year with.

is a state championship, well, has been in the past, weather has a little chill in the air....the community came out and supported, and it was a very friendly contest.....I had even set up a barter system with the pizza place, got some pizza in exchange for BBQ, and got to use their sinks inside to wash up supplies.....heck, close out season?....laughing, I still had Shelby, NC after I left Nelsonville.....
Roger, ouch, grabbed the bestest spot that there was....well, unless you are set up right in front of the bar.....but, was great eye candy there....

The area around it is the Hocking Hills area ...Hocking valley. The most beautiful spot in Ohio. Go to www.hockinghills.com to see all there is out there. Nelsonville is like 20 min. away. The fall the leaves are changing good time to be a STICKBURNER and have your own bar stool.

is a state championship, well, has been in the past, weather has a little chill in the air....the community came out and supported, and it was a very friendly contest.....I had even set up a barter system with the pizza place, got some pizza in exchange for BBQ, and got to use their sinks inside to wash up supplies.....heck, close out season?....laughing, I still had Shelby, NC after I left Nelsonville.....
Roger, ouch, grabbed the bestest spot that there was....well, unless you are set up right in front of the bar.....but, was great eye candy there....

I was set up a comfortable distance away from the bar and still managed to get hammered and let my smoker get to Chernobyl temps (over 400 by the time Jim and I got back to the site)...needless to say, THE BAR IS EVIL!!! (Cant wait to get back)

It is a good comp, we had alot of fun there and the teams were all great

JayAre

Yeah, we (me and my buddy that was with me) were just talking about how Roger could walk both straight and crooked in the same motion, and almost make it look like it was planned.....
Will be back again this year....

I need to see if I can get this one on my schedule. I need an Ohio comp on my list.

you are more than welcome....and you know of at least one site that you can hang at....but, not to diss this one, but, a great setting contest in OH is Kettering...nice, park like, great teams....and even if old...yeah, OLD Jim is a grump, he manages many smiles that weekend....

it did take awhile to get across the street.....but thats because JayAre and Jim were sneaking something in my pepsi all day and night.

Yeah, we (me and my buddy that was with me) were just talking about how Roger could walk both straight and crooked in the same motion, and almost make it look like it was planned.....
Will be back again this year....

I need to see if I can get this one on my schedule. I need an Ohio comp on my list.

I don't know why you would want to come to Ohio Mark. You see all the verbal abuse I am taking don't you?

Competition Prize Money Increased to $10,000

Rocky Brands has step up for 2009 and put up $10,000 in prize money for the Ohio Smoked Meat & BBQ Festival. The break down is as follows;

Chieck, Ribs, Pork, Brisket
1st $500
2nd $300
3rd $200
4th $150
5th $100

Overall
Grand Champion $3000
Reserve Grand Champion $1500
Top Ohio Team $500

For more information follow the link at www.nelsonvillechamber.com

Come on down to Nelsonville October 16th & 17th 2009

Hmmm, wonder if any of the Mifo's would be interest in this one?
We have a cook for the BBQ for our Troops on October 11 in Jackson, Mi.

Scott

Back