MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-12-2019, 06:06 PM   #1
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Default burning off liners

I know how you can burn out a barrel to remove the red liner. But what about the lid? I have access to some barrels that were used to store honey and the lids have liners on them as well. I know from experience any extreme amount of heat on a lid will warp it bad.
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #2
Sharkyj
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Sam

Use a cupped wire brush on a cheap 4.5 in angle grinder. Take it to the bare metal. Angle grinders are cheap at Harbor Freight. Use paint stripper on outside of lid.
Sharkyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-12-2019, 11:12 PM   #3
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Also what is cheap is the $20 flamethrower from Harbor Freight. With afterburner engaged, 5000,000 BTUs @ 3000*F.

I use it to sear steaks after Sous Vide.

Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2019, 05:32 AM   #4
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

I'd do the angle grinder and cup brush for sure. Outside and fastened to a piece of plywood to keep it from dancing around too much on you. Should not take long. Wear appropriate PPE... don't go cheap on the brush- those wires that come off the brush head are moving freaky fast.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:37 AM   #5
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuco59 View Post
I'd do the angle grinder and cup brush for sure. Outside and fastened to a piece of plywood to keep it from dancing around too much on you. Should not take long. Wear appropriate PPE... don't go cheap on the brush- those wires that come off the brush head are moving freaky fast.
I already have an angle grinder and a cupped brush. I wasn't aware that it would grind through that stuff I thought the epoxy was too hard. I will give it a shot. As for what you're saying about the loose bristles I know all too well. Worked automotive repair and other shops throughout my life. I pulled more wire bristles out of my neck my cheeks and my stomach and even my thighs lol. They tend to go right through blue jeans and anything they want to
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2019, 06:06 AM   #6
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Hit it and see- you might have to step up to something a bit more aggressive. A sanding disc on the grinder might make more sense- and no bristles to contend with. My first UDS was a "food safe" drum. I'm sure my neighbors got a kick out of seeing me laying it flat on the drive way and scootching inside it - head and shoulders- to get the bottom section with a drill motor and sanding discs. That was all I had at the time. I have more tools now- but no interest in tackling another epoxy lined drum. Daddy says doing stuff like that "builds character" and he's probably right- but one was enuff.

Thanks from:--->