CUBANOS! (pron)

being from the the home town of the cuban I must chime in. 1st you must have cuban bread or it is just not a cuban. ham, pork, genoa salami, swiss cheese and dill pickle. if pressed a panini press or even a forman grill is ok, and never use butter this is where your mayo would come in to play just brush your bread with the mayo and press away. and by all means never have with lettuce and tomato. Tampa cuban rules!!

being from the the home town of the cuban I must chime in. 1st you must have cuban bread or it is just not a cuban. ham, pork, genoa salami, swiss cheese and dill pickle. if pressed a panini press or even a forman grill is ok, and never use butter this is where your mayo would come in to play just brush your bread with the mayo and press away. and by all means never have with lettuce and tomato. Tampa cuban rules!!

You're from Cuba? I grew up with Cubans, none of which put Genoa on their Cuban sandwiches or medianoches. You'd be hard pressed to find it on any of the sandwiches from Little Havana shops in Miami.

Fantastic. I just ate breakfast and I want one of them! :shock: :clap:

We make these all the time. OF course, we have a pretty loose definition of the word, but . . .

You're from Cuba? I grew up with Cubans, none of which put Genoa on their Cuban sandwiches or medianoches. You'd be hard pressed to find it on any of the sandwiches from Little Havana shops in Miami.
Craig;
Are half-sours the pickle of choice? That is what I learned to use in Cuban sandwiches from my Cuban friends.

It looks really tasty!
For those who have not had a Cuban - you have not lived!

Looks fantastic. There are a ton of Cuban shops where I live and can't tell who makes the best, but I know I like them all.

Craig;
Are half-sours the pickle of choice? That is what I learned to use in Cuban sandwiches from my Cuban friends.

I'm guessing here, but back in the 50's, before the "Revolution", Cubans were so anxious to assimilate American culture that I think the pickles might just have been regular dills from the shelf stable areas of the grocery. Cuban-Americans probably adapted the ingredients once here. We use refrigerated "Hearty Garlic" dills on our Cubans. The pork we use is from heavily garlic, sour orange-Mojo marinade we make and a garlic-cumin-salt paste rub, which soaks in over night and is then roasted over hardwood charcoal.

Back