Any other rebels?

rwalters

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Who in the Brethren family will be going non-traditional this upcoming Thursday? I have a couple of small turkey breasts I’ll smoke up for the “traditionalists” but other than that the smoker will be loaded down with Duroc St Louis ribs [emoji39]. We’re just not big turkey people. Are there any other fellow Brethren Thanksgiving Day Rebels in the house?

We all really like turkey and have it throughout the year so sticking with it (oven roasted). Especially since we hadn't had a Thanksgiving with the mother-in-law in several years. So she is really excited which makes it that better for everyone. We are just doing her and my family.

We all really like turkey and have it throughout the year so sticking with it (oven roasted). Especially since we hadn't had a Thanksgiving with the mother-in-law in several years. So she is really excited which makes it that better for everyone. We are just doing her and my family.

At the end of the day it’s about family... sounds like you’re gonna have a great day even if you are going with turkey ;-)

I remember one year I was smoking a turkey and the lady’s dad though that it was blasphemy. Lol

What was he expecting... turkey in a bag with the lil plastic pop up thermometers?

We’re doing turkey and ham, I’ll be focusing on the sides!

Super traditional. Reminds me of my mother-in-law. Turkey and ham every thanksgiving. Except she always bought plopped her pre-cooked ham in the oven at 350 for what seemed like 4 hours. Sucker was as dry and tough and shoe leather... lol. I know no Brethren would ever do something so cruel to those they are cooking for :)

Whatcha doin’ for sides?

Was going to do a small 12-14lb bird as usual. But with all the lockdowns, causing small gatherings, all the small birds are gone. Only thing I can find are the giant 24-26lbers. So might have to go with plan B and figure out something else to cook. We'll see.

"Turkey is traditional" is the only reason I've bothered in the past - not a fan- but it was expected.
Covid has changed who and how many might attend so I'm doing chicken and sausage gumbo.

Back