Reaction score
P9300831.jpg

P9300832.jpg

butts injected with apple juice and rubbed with s,p,gp,cayenne

P9300833.jpg

on at 9:15 going to wrap with bp at 160*

Interested to see the final result.

Nice start.
Why don't you wrap one and leave the other one alone?
Then you could tell the difference ( taste and texture wise) between the two...:wink:
Time differences are hard to compare, 2 butts side by side can finish hours apart...go figure...:wink:
jon

Nice start.
Why don't you wrap one and leave the other one alone?
Then you could tell the difference ( taste and texture wise) between the two...:wink:
Time differences are hard to compare, 2 butts side by side can finish hours apart...go figure...:wink:
jon

I'll do it!!

P9300838.jpg

this is the butcher paper I am using

P9300836.jpg

Wrapped over a pan to catch any drippings for after pulling, the other one is unwrapped. Thanks Jonboy for the one of each idea, and Diesel Dave for the drip pan.

Glad to help, you'll love mixing that in after pulling. Adds a mess of flavor.

P9300839.jpg

the unwrapped one

P9300840.jpg

the wrapped one

P9300841.jpg

Unwrapped on the left. They had the same taste and texture, the wrapped one took 1 1/2 hours longer. I thought the wrapped one would be done first, and the unwrapped one would be much darker, wrong on both. By using the roaster rack I did discover one thing the grease went through the paper but the awesome juice stayed in the paper somehow, got about a 1/4 cup of thick black deliciousness.

Thanks for the side by side!! I would have thought the wrapped 1 would have been done at least the same time the other would have been. I know it's not uncommon for 2 butts to have different cook times but I thought it would have sped it up. I wonder how long it would have taken w/o paper then?

Interesting. Not what I expected. Thanks.

Back